How to help the other team "stop the bleeding"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
Going along the nuances of coaching, I've been in the situation where we were really beating up on a team. The game and inning were getting out of hand and I honestly felt bad for the other team. I first stopped aggressive baserunning and going on passed balls, tried to get the girls to work on hitting anything that was a strike even if they didn't care for the pitch, even bunting runners over to get the first 2 outs of the inning but it was pretty ugly. After the game someone suggested runners leave early or swing and miss, but I felt that was more showing up the other team.

Any experiences/suggestions on how to deal with those situations?

Nov 29, 2009
I've been on both ends of the situation. I will do everything you've stated you've done with moving players into positions they normally don't play and anything else I can think of to plug the bleeding. When the game has reached the point where I can't teach anything to my players and the other team has given up I will have the runners on 2nd leave early and get called out. I tell the girls I have do that not to make it real blatant. Just enough to be sure the umpire calls them out.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Been on both sides of this - I think we all have. We do all the things mentioned.

In general - Early regular innings: Once we get up 10 runs we start walking off base.
Once an inning the game can be ended via Run Rule is started we'll generally score up to the run-rule limit + 1 and then that we start walking off base.

Mostly we let our batters hit aggressively or work on bunting but we wont let anyone go for more than a single and then we'll walk off the bases. We always let the umpires know we are going to do it so they are aware and looking for it. I don't worry about hiding it - as soon as the pitcher has the ball and steps on the rubber to pitch we will step off.

We mix our fielders up, pitch and catch our second and third options and so on. At the same time we also want to make sure the game gets done quickly (especially if there are more games to be played later that day) so we often leave our #1 first base on 1st and occasionally keep one of our better pitchers in to make sure the bleeding does stop.

Mar 13, 2010
Well I don't have the girls walk off a base or swing at crap. You still need to respect the other team.

No stealing agressivily (so if it's a passed ball they go. It's rude not to) No short game. The people I know can pull it off naturally will be told to strike out.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Well I don't have the girls walk off a base or swing at crap. You still need to respect the other team.

So what DO you do when you have put on 12 runs in the bottom of the first inning, there is still no outs and their pitcher can't find the strike zone with a map?

On either side of the equation I want this half-inning to END now and walking off bases is the accepted way of making that happen around here anyway. That is actually the way you show respect for the other team by not piling on a bunch of additional runs.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
Thanks for the responses. Not to say we've never been demolished, but it's usually over the course of a game, not where the team is struggling to get through an inning. The few times when we've been in this situation the P is walking a lot of people, defense making some errors, and we end up hitting well. We've actually batted out of order on purpose but they didn't catch it =(

Good to hear that there is an acceptable way to "help out" the other team. Any other creative responses are still appreciated!

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I will tell the girls to swing if it is anywhere near a strike. I will also have them leave the base early. With one side note. Make sure you are looking at the other coaches when you do it. If it is upsetting them in any way, I'd stop doing it. I try to show as much respect as I possibly can. I do not like the batting left handed. I think it makes a bit of a mockery. If you can do it tastefully, then I guess it is ok. The worse thing would be to have your girls strike out and go back to the dugout laughing and joking. You don't want to embarass the other team any more than you are.

Oct 25, 2009
Have them work on specific skills like hitting only to the opposite side, or sacrifice fly balls, swinging only at certain pitches, or controlled-distance swings, etc. IOW, turn the game into a practice. Put in bench players with instructions to only swing at pitches they struggle with, etc.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
From an umpire's point of view - we hate these innings also. I would say that whatever you do, try to do it in a way that shows as much respect as possible to your opponent, you never know when you and/or your team might be on other end. If a coach gives me an indication he is going to have his players leave early, I will call it even if they don't...since that is what he wants. I've also seen teams bunt right back to the pitcher, not take the extra base or not move up on a passed ball, etc.

The one thing that I will caution against, especially at the younger ages, is allowing your players to relax when you take your foot off the pedal. I've seen many games where a team put up 8 or 9 runs in the first inning or so, coach plays to end innings, and the other team all of a sudden finds their groove and makes a game of it.

Tough situation from both sides, you pretty much have adjust to each one as it comes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan