How to handle...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 27, 2012
USA
What you've described about the mistakes can happen to any team on any day, but it's quite common when a hyper-competitive coach tries to take a rec team into TB.

HC needs to take his daughter and go form a team with players that he actually wants. If your DD is one of those players, you've got some soul-searching to do. By that I mean, were there signs of this behavior a year ago? Or is it all new this spring? And if it's been there all along, can you tolerate it and do you want your daughter around it?

Not an environment I want my daughter in. Many parents and spectators are ready to say something.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The last throw was back to the pitcher which got past her and rolled right to the feet of the screaming HC who proceeded to kick the ball back at the pitchers mound.

He *REPEATEDLY* loses it? The guy is a nut job.

Any coach can have a bad day...a gal/guy could have a bad day at work and a flat tire, and then have the kids do something stupid and go a little wacky. But, to do it over and over again indicates serious issues.

The guy has got problems. He shouldn't be coaching.

My DD#3 was being coached by a guy like that. I did pull my DD#3 from the team. Life is too short.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I would have one of the parents video tape him and show him how ridiculous he looks. Sometimes a reality check is in order.

58sdad

Only Slightly OCD..
Mar 28, 2013
Upstate NY
I'd have a sitdown with the HC.. gently remind them that when those things happen, it's NOT THE GIRLS FAULT..

The root cause for these bad innings is a lack or preparation which falls solely on the HC and the ACs, not the DD's.

I had a run in with a HC and another AC when they would always sit the girls down after every game and just talk about what everyone did wrong. Even games they won and played well. No matter what they always had to listen to the HC tell them how they could have done better.. Tried to intervene as best I could and put any blame onto us coaches as not having the girls prepared to succeed. It didn't go well and most of the girls on that team have dropped the sport altogether (and I don't wonder why).. DD and I have moved on to another team that has a much more positive HC. Don't regret that move for a second.

Hope things work out for you..

Dec 27, 2012
USA
All three of these episodes would have been big hits on the internet! I was embarrassed to be associated with the coaching staff during his rants. He actually said to everyone that his kick back to the pitcher was better than any of the throws.

We brought 5 girls to the team from our rec team and the HC brought 7 girls from his rec team to form this team. That is why I don't just want to just find a new team for my daughter. There are 12 girls that I feel responsible for.

Dec 27, 2012
USA
I'd have a sitdown with the HC.. gently remind them that when those things happen, it's NOT THE GIRLS FAULT..

The root cause for these bad innings is a lack or preparation which falls solely on the HC and the ACs, not the DD's.

I had a run in with a HC and another AC when they would always sit the girls down after every game and just talk about what everyone did wrong. Even games they won and played well. No matter what they always had to listen to the HC tell them how they could have done better.. Tried to intervene as best I could and put any blame onto us coaches as not having the girls prepared to succeed. It didn't go well and most of the girls on that team have dropped the sport altogether (and I don't wonder why).. DD and I have moved on to another team that has a much more positive HC. Don't regret that move for a second.

Hope things work out for you..

Thanks, I hope I figure out a way to talk to him that will do some good. The 3 ACs agree that we need to step in and talk to him, but we need to come up with how to handle it.

We don't have any tournaments scheduled until June. This league that we are in is the perfect place to get the girls game situation work in before we play a tournament. The HC does not seem to understand the difference. They need practice with good instruction to get better, not what he is giving them.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
There are 12 girls that I feel responsible for.

If this is indeed true, then the actions of the HC need to be addressed ASAP, and if he does not see the harm he is causing, you should do what is best for your DD and your other players. Based on what you have described, I would bet that the team won't stay together and make it to June for your tournaments if this is allowed to continue.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I agree with some others... he needs to asked to step down. We as coaches can only expect the quality of output from a player that is equal to the quality of input.

May 7, 2012
Sounds a lot like a coach that I know. He even pulled his daughter after she didn't catch a throw at first, on the first batter of the game. Are you in So. Cal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01