How to coach motivation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
I'm HC on a 14U all star team and as a whole the girls I have are great kids. I've coached most of them for years and have good personal relationships with most of them.

The problem I'm running into right now is that just about everyone (but a couple kids in particular) give up on a play the second they make a mistake. We'll do situation drills (runner on first; runner on second; whatever) and the ball will be hit. If they field it cleanly, they generally make the right play. But if they make the TINIEST mistake, they give up on it, roll their eyes, slump slowly after the ball, etc. etc.

We had a talk last night after practice about not giving up on plays and that if we practice lazy, then we'll play lazy in a game. I told them that I honestly don't know how to teach motivation. Told them that if they want, I can be the "jerk" coach who makes them run every time they give up on a play or don't cover their base if the situation calls for it or any other type of mistake. I don't WANT to be THAT coach, but I really can't think of a way to teach motivation other than through punishment if the screw up.

Any other ideas out there?

May 8, 2009
Florida
I had a similar question a few years back. Emailed a good friend about it and this is part of his response...

Yes, that is the million dollar question. If it’s any consolation, I’ve been there before, and so has pretty much every other coach at one point or another.

I always remember what Lou Holtz said when someone asked him how he got to be such a great motivator. He said, “I pick the kids who are self-motivated and cut the rest.” Ah, if it only it was that simple.

As far as teaching how to continue through a busted play. I remind the players constantly that even if you misplay something, continue on and good things can happen. In practice, every play must finish, whether they played it the first time, or had to recover. I am always pushing to finish, and when they have done a good job at making something out of a bad situation, they are praised for it.

Jun 18, 2013
I don't WANT to be THAT coach, but I really can't think of a way to teach motivation other than through punishment if the screw up.

It has been my experience that punishment for mistakes only makes the situation worse. Without knowing the kids it is hard to tell you exactly what is going on, but it sounds like they are putting too much pressure on themselves to be perfect already. It might be a good time to do some silly games at practice one night to make them have some fun again. Water balloon batting practice always goes over well for my kids.

They need to learn to stop pre-judging the results of a play. I have a terrible time with my son doing just that. I have to remind him that when he gives up on a throw because he is afraid something bad might happen then he is guaranteeing that something bad is going to happen.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Short term memory is one of the hardest lessons to learn, I think. I remember one coach repeatedly asked "What is the best play?" and all the girls would chime in "The NEXT ONE!" And he would drill that into them...so that no matter what happened, they would look forward to making the next play regardless of what happened before.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We had a talk last night after practice about not giving up on plays and that if we practice lazy, then we'll play lazy in a game. I told them that I honestly don't know how to teach motivation. Told them that if they want, I can be the "jerk" coach who makes them run every time they give up on a play or don't cover their base if the situation calls for it or any other type of mistake. I don't WANT to be THAT coach, but I really can't think of a way to teach motivation other than through punishment if the screw up.

(a) You are letting being HC of an "all star" team go to your head. If you think physical punishment is the way to make players better, then perhaps you need to find someone else to coach the team. (Physical punishment doesn't work, by the way. My DD#3 played college hoops. She was in such good physical shape that running "10 more suicides" was nothing.)

(b) There is only one thing that works: Playing time. Have you made sure everyone knows that they are not guaranteed playing time? Have you in any way suggested to some of the girls that they don't have to worry about playing time? Ultimately, the only thing that players respond to is playing time. Girls that play the way you want them to get to play. Those that don't watch. You have to make it crystal clear to *EVERYONE* including the parents that no one is guaranteed anything. You have to have the guts to bench your most talented player.

(c) You think that "talking" to a 14YOA girl will change her attitude? If you can do this, please write a book and let the rest of world in on your secret.

(d) If you really want to improve your team, you should spending about 90% of your time on fielding and throwing drills and about 10% on situational work. (Personally, I think situational work is a waste of time, but other successful coaches disagree.) You teach "continuation" (i.e., continuing with the play) during basic fielding and throwing drills. E.g., if a kid muffs a grounder, you encourage her to get the ball and make the throw. You also teach everyone to *play on*.

(e) Generally, "hustle" comes from the coach by way of example, not by talking. The practices need to run like a well-oiled machine. Multiple station work with rotation between stations every five minutes. The coaches should be hustling. The coaches should be working harder than the girls.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It has been my experience that punishment for mistakes only makes the situation worse.

I agree. ...

I don't believe in punishment. But I do believe in reward. When you see a player who doesn't give up, make a big deal of it. 'That's what I want!' ... Base when and where they play on this quality. If the ones who never give up are the ones getting the most playing time and the favored positions, the players will notice that and respond.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
To me, motivation for a team starts with being very vocal............as a team. The energy of being positively vocal carries a lot of power on the field. To work it must be done by all coaches, and every single player.......on off the bench.

If they make the play, the team comes alive ( briefly ) shouting / clapping, just long enough to acknowledge. You're wanting the team as a "unit" to celebrate small success. You'd be surprised how far 2 claps, and a quick word "good play" "nice" "sweet" "alright!!", will go into the minds of the players. Team wide POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT.

If they mis the play the team ( briefly ) it's the same deal, make it short and sweet, but it must be constructive and genuine in nature. "nice try" "nobody hurt" "almost had her" "shake it off" Have the closest player ( to the one who made the error ) slide over towards her and offer a more personal line of motivation, maybe touch gloves "let's get um this time".

What we have to understand is people are more prone to work hard for a team, than just for themselves. That's also what we have to teach our young players.

I'd say forget the running, but have the conversation you are now a vocal team, you'll be running your mouths. :)

One thing that really worked for us was sharing statistics. Keep them to the basic stats ( BA, PA, K's, BB, OB, SB ), and praise the top few in each game, day, weekend event. It's not so much about competition, it's about the 2 seconds of recognition.

Pearson's law
The quote is: "When performance is measured, performance improves. When performance is measured and reported back, the rate of improvement accelerates."

Dec 28, 2011
Just want to chime in on being a "vocal team", with the girls giving each other praise. My dd's 14u team had been struggling for a couple of months, not playing well, and the girls seeming to blame each other and not being in sync together as a unit. Although they love each other like sisters, sometimes teenage girls aren't the nicest to eachother. After a team meeting of brainstorming, the girls were strongly encouraged to be that "vocal team", in practice and in games. They now routinely praise and high-five eachother, and when a mistake is made, they say, "get em next time". Seems to be working! They thrive on positive encouragement from their teammates!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1