How should have this play been ruled?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I'm umping a coach pitch rec game. R1 on 2nd R2 on 1st. 0 outs. Batter hits fly ball to shallow center, both runners start to advance. Center fielder makes the catch and throws to 3rd. 3B knows what's going on and throws to 2nd for the out. R1 and R2 are in the process of returning to their previous base. The throw goes into the outfield. R1 touches 2nd base , then heads to 3rd. R2 NEVER tagged 1st base. R1 scores and R2 heads to 2nd. Ball thrown into 2nd. Fielder never touches R2. I didn't call time. Fielder throws the ball to the coach. Time was never called.

I didn't know what the ruling should be. I called both coaches over and explained what I saw. I ruled that R2 was not out because of no tag, but couldn't advance to 2nd and returned to 1st.

What was the right call?

Oct 25, 2013
DFW Area
You have no call until the def. team appeals. If they don't prior to the next pitch, then all is good ... runner at 2nd, play on. If they do, R2 is out, R1's run stands.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
You have no call until the def. team appeals. If they don't prior to the next pitch, then all is good ... runner at 2nd, play on. If they do, R2 is out, R1's run stands.

Then I made the wrong call. I told both coaches that I just didn't know. Never had one where I was the only one that knew a runner didn't tag. Thanks

Jul 24, 2013
3afan has it, you should notice these things, and be silent. The players//coaches have to appeal that she isnt properly on base, tag her or the bag to "make an out"... this is why you see coaches yelling at players to tag her, tag the bag etc... hoping to make the setting for their appeal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors