How much is too much

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2009
With high school state playoffs about 3 weeks away whats the best way for a pitcher to be at peak performace for playoffs. My DD is throwing well, she would like better control, better breaking drop and as much speed as possible.

She wants to work after games, 2 a days but I dont want to overdo it. Any suggestions on the best policy to fine tune for the playoffs, while games are being played during the week without overdoing it?

Thanks...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She can do an alternative activity, like working out, swimming, running, biking. She could hit off the tee.

She needs to make the best out of each practice that she can. That is the time to work on her pitches. I don't see working with her on game day, either. But during practice the coach could have someone working with her to maximize the workout.

Stress proper warm up and cool down to her, so that she is taking care of her arm.

I find that confidence is the best thing that a pitcher can have. You can't believe the coaches that I know that essentially tell there team that they can't win the next game. They are nay sayers. It drives me nuts.

One thing that your DD could do that isn't too strenuous is to throw a 14 inch ball and a 16 inch ball. It is fun and they really have to concentrate on control.

Also, after she is warm, have her pitch whiffle balls, full distance. Explain that if there is a problem with her delivery, it will show up here.

Good luck. I wish I was there. Where are you that you play ball in the fall? I was thinking Iowa, but that is summer.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It is time to educate your DD about life generally and about sports specifically. It is a pipe dream for her to think she is not going to see significant improvement in 3 weeks. If she wants to have better control and more speed, she has to work harder in the off-season.

The most important thing is to be in good physical shape for the tournament. When the playoffs start, she could be pitching a great deal in a very short time span. So, her main goal is to be healthy. Generally, she should be reducing her practice time.

Amy has some good advice. About the only that you could improve in a few weeks is her drop. You might want to increase the drills she does and reduce the amount of "full out" pitching.

So,

Aug 21, 2008
Not sure I agree with Sluggers on this completely. Sometimes all it takes is a small "tweak" of something to get MAJOR results. So I would say it would really depend on what you're trying to fix and how you're trying to fix it. I wouldn't worry so much about the 'physical' side of this... while I understand your concern. Obviously, it's silly to pitch for 5 hours a day, 5 days a week just for the sake of doing it. But with that said, I pitched every day of my life that I could find a catcher. Most of the time that was 5-6 days per week. Believe me, once she gets in a game (especially if it's playoffs) the adrenaline will kick in.

Bill

May 7, 2009
Thanks for all the input.

She is very worried about playoffs. Coach has focused on outside corner fastballs and a few changes. My daughter gets frustrated cause she knows its a matter of time when you through the same pitch to a batter over and over. She knows if they foul it straight back she should change something up. She not confident in her drop enough yet to shake it off.

Amy...we so have an oversized ball Ill break it out and it will break the
routine abit. Ill break out the wiffle balls too so her spin is good. Would jumping rope be good or bad about this time? Im in Missouri and we play high school softball in the fall.

Slugger - Ive said that speach...especially last fall/winter. where do you want to be come October and your about to go into district playoffs. For some reason....she doesnt respond very well to it around this time. She is talking about getting in better shape, shes not out of shape but shes very quick and agile and has worked on her fast twich muscles before so she knows how quick she can be.

Bill - its that Tweak that I think she wants. Although she is not using her leap/glove hand as she should. Still looks tight when shes pitching and can tell the diffeence when she feels the whip. Like I said above her coach is focusin on fastballs due to her having some controll issues earler from an injury.

Would long toss help at all? To feel how fast she can be? I feel like telling her to throw nothing but drop balls and change ups in practice to get as much work as possible and hope for results. last game coach threw FB and some changes. I mentioned to my DD to maybe try a drop on 0-2. It shoudl be outside anyway and unhittlable to me.. But coach likes the corner on 0-2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1