How much do you spend on equipment, fees, exposure tournaments, and camp a year?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2012
It's important to back out normal expenses (plus it makes me feel better). In other words, you would eat regardless if you are traveling. Sure it may be less costly. You would use some gas in a normal weekend, maybe not as much. Probably wouldn't fly or rent a car, but if this trip took the place of or was combined with a vacation, the total cost isn't a true cost. As for team fees, DD may be swimming, dancing or taking on some other activity (gym membership) if not for softball, so "savings" may not be realized. Again, it makes me feel better to look at it this way.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
3 years ago, my nephew documented every cost associated with his 12U travel daughter. For example, if they arrived at the field and had to go buy suntan lotion, he wrote it down. He did use a percentage of the costs of food and gas, that they might have been consuming anyway. If the team went to the water park after a game, that was included.

He is in Houston Texas and she played at a high level. They spent nearly $6,000 that 12 months. (playing year around.)

Jun 11, 2013
Dues around 1500
bat 300
Mitt 100
Spikes 75
pants,etc 100
Hotels 1200
food 500
gas 500

Do not currently do lessons, but know families that spend well over 100 per week on them /child.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I look at most of these numbers, and these are the sort of numbers I pay for DS's rowing club, although the dues are about double. At least the club provides the equipment. For example, a rich family donated about $20,000 for a new small boat, and paid about half the cost for a bigger ($30,000) boat.

The truly elite rowers spend a LOT more. They spend over $1600 just for a couple of national events, one in the spring, another in the fall.

One of the rowers joined the Junior National Team . That juices the cost up more than you want to think about. (In fact, at least one rower turned down a chance for the national team because of the expense.)

According to an email I got today, this HS student spent a few weeks rowing in Pittsburgh, then a few expensive weeks at a national training center in Princeton, then off for a week in Hamburg, Germany, for the Jr. World Championships.

It just goes to show, the higher the level, the more $$$$$ involved.

Almost makes one wish for the system in China, where the talented athletes are taken from the family, and trained by the government, with the government picking up the entire tab. The poor kids often only see their parents during the Lunar New Year, though. Some of the nastier coaches keep the kids in line by threatening to cancel their next New Years trip.

Come to think of it, I'd rather have the kids at home.

Jan 25, 2011
Well let's just say that, I will more then likely die at work. With bats, gloves, and all the other equipment needed, if I was car jacked. I would tell them they can have the car, just let me get my dds ball bag out first. I would have to put my figure at around $6000. I didn't even add in the money, I lose turning down overtime at work. So it could be closer to the $10,000 mark if you want to add money not being made. But I honestly can say, it is worth every penny. We get to see this great country and meet so many people, one softball field at a time.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
^ Exactly. I try to tell people it is around $6,000 for full time TB. I currently have one student whose family is in bankruptcy. I just bought her some Ringors. Anyway, I am off topic.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Tucson-based 12U TB from March 2014 through July 2014 = $2,900 (add another $325 for uniform replacement).

That includes

dues
cleats
5 friendly fees
1 14-game Spring TB league
3 tourneys in Phoenix (TCS and USSSA) with hotel, gas, food
4 tourneys in Tucson (non-affiliated)
1 western region world series in SoCal with hotel, gas, and food

It does not include lessons or in-town travel to practices (2-3x/week), league games, friendlies, etc.

Afterthought to compare apples with oranges:
My 10YO son dances for an academy (3 styles of dance) and plays 3 instruments (he owns two, we rent one). For dues, costumes, admission into University of Arizona Centennial Hall (2 2-day recitals), DVDs, music, music lessons, school band fees, trumpet rental during the same period is about $2,150.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
For summer 2014 - 18U level (exposures, travel (hotel, gas, flights), it was roughly $6700. Good news is little equipment (only pants, cleats and new pitching balls)...heh...as if that softened the blow. -_-

Jun 11, 2013
One other thing you need to factor in is how often you play. I think we played 14 tournaments in 3 friendlies since January so costs go up a little more.