How many tourneys to play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My team will usually play in a tournament every other weekend all summer as well as a summer and fall league consisting of all the area travel teams, and an indoor tourney or two in the winter... we will play about 80-90 games this year.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
We have team practice every Thurs, and private batting practice in my cage every other Wednesday... we get plenty of practice. But our thoughts on this are, its an investment into their future by working towards a college scholarship.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
How often do you practice? You guys do practice right?

Most of the marquee teams (A-ball) in GA only practice on Saturdays for 4-6 hours on weekends they are not playing. This is usually dictated by players coming from a large geographical area, and in some cases, multiple states. My DD team practices @ 3 times/week. We have a two hour hitting practice on Mondays, an option 2 hour practice on Tuesdays and a mandatory 2 hour practice on Thursdays. Early in the season we would schedule scrimmage games/friendlies on Saturdays when we were not playing in a tournament.

Jan 24, 2011
We play about 12 tournaments between Mid May and end of August. We have team practice every Tuesday and Thursday and an additional optional hitting practice on Wednesday. We are a 14u B team

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
We have team practice every Thurs, and private batting practice in my cage every other Wednesday... we get plenty of practice. But our thoughts on this are, its an investment into their future by working towards a college scholarship.

A 529 college savings account is a sound investment in a kid's future. IMO, FP softball, Everglade land deals, lotteries, and Ponzi schemes are not.

Apr 13, 2013
If or when we shop for a TB Team we are going to look for a Team with a schedule that meets our personality. We are not going to join a Team that plays a tourney every weekend, but we are also not going to join a Team that plays 1 tourney a month. That is just us.

There is no right answer to the OP; it just needs to be defined up front.

Niece joined a TB last year that played 2 Tourneys a month, then they decided to play 3 a month. Good news for the parents is that there was no additional cost for them. Great but that is not what they signed up for and did not work out.

More is not better, less is not worse. You just need to get it defined before they sign up for the year.

Last edited:
May 12, 2013
The post above this one says it all, I initially defined that we would play at least 4 tourneys over the summer. Well, the parents have somewhat ganged up on me and are saying they want to play more and they would pay for it. Keep in mind, I started the TB team with as little investment for the parents as possible. They are talking out both sides of their mouth. The more you play, the more it costs and the more time is invested. It seems they want to play and the heck with practice or money.

I need a parents only meeting. Parents are the reason I got out of coaching baseball, you can't please any of them and one bad parent can ruin it for everyone.

Jan 24, 2011
The post above this one says it all, I initially defined that we would play at least 4 tourneys over the summer. Well, the parents have somewhat ganged up on me and are saying they want to play more and they would pay for it. Keep in mind, I started the TB team with as little investment for the parents as possible. They are talking out both sides of their mouth. The more you play, the more it costs and the more time is invested. It seems they want to play and the heck with practice or money.

I need a parents only meeting. Parents are the reason I got out of coaching baseball, you can't please any of them and one bad parent can ruin it for everyone.

4 tournaments for the Summer just isnt much at all for 14u players. Most likely , if you dont play more , the better/more driven players will find a team that does play more

Apr 29, 2013
My daughter's 12U-A team practices twice a week and plays around 12 tournaments between the end of March and the end of July. It feels just right. I don't think once a week practices are enough.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd