How many of you quit coaching over the bull...?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Crush, winning begets winning and losing begets losing. For whatever reason, in TB some teams get the reputation as teams where a dd might be good to get her feet wet but then move on. I've never understood it. However, it does affect the quality of girls that tryout for your team and those that stay. The first team my dd played for was much the same. We left when they didn't want to play a tougher schedule and travel. The rational was that they could not compete. Yet, they won a local tournament that had the top teams from Missouri, Tennessee, Illinois, Indiana, ... When we left, the catcher left to play on whatever team my dd ended up on. That team became a team I've earlier described. That team did have a core set of parents who did everything together all of the time and so, that core group was fine with all of it.

Per your coaching observations and concerns, the parent most often wants to know, "what have you done for me lately?" Crush, that coach who "was your friend" is probably still your friend. Things change and people move on. Still, you have shared experiences that involve your dds both good and bad and so someday, you'll get a laugh or two over it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Every team is different, so there is not going to be a "one size fits all" solution to your dilemma. I will tell you that in order to keep our better players happy we tried to elevate the level of competition we faced every year. We started as a C-team, moved up to low-B, high-B, low-A and finally to high-A. As you can see it has been a 5 year process, so it is not something that is going to happen overnight. It also helps if you have one or two SOLID pitchers who "buy into" the process and are willing to stick it out. I truly believe that this "development" plan is one of the keys to my DD's success. She was brought along slowly vs. being thrown into a situation she was not ready for. She has always been our #1 or #2 pitcher, so she gets plenty of circle time.

Most teams go through some player transition every season. As the head coach, you need to decide if it is going to be the top 1/4 of your roster leaving for better teams, or the bottom 1/4 of your roster being cut to make room for better players. As you "progress" up the TB food chain, the answer to that question changes.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
"Adversity causes some men to break; Others to break records." I believe your quote is the answer to your question.

I don't have the experience you have, but I do understand where you are coming from. The players are what makes coaching worth it. In some cases, the parents (and drama) are what makes it difficult. Personally, I actually enjoy the practices more than the games. There is something about providing some instruction, seeing the "light go on", and seeing the smile on their face because of it. Whenever I see that, I seem to forget all about the drama.

If you still have a group of players and parents that are loyal to you, AND you still enjoy it, then it is worth doing! But you need to have both parts.

Jan 31, 2011
Crush, you can never please everyone. Just be true to yourself. You are at this point. Run the team however it makes you happy. If you want to equalize play time then do that. If you want to play to win then do that.

Most parents realize you are a volunteer and appreciate all the hard work and commitment you have. Do what you believe is the right thing and you cannot go wrong.

I, for one, understand the position you are in and I have a lot of respect for you as a coach.

BB

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Every team is different, so there is not going to be a "one size fits all" solution to your dilemma. I will tell you that in order to keep our better players happy we tried to elevate the level of competition we faced every year. We started as a C-team, moved up to low-B, high-B, low-A and finally to high-A. As you can see it has been a 5 year process, so it is not something that is going to happen overnight. It also helps if you have one or two SOLID pitchers who "buy into" the process and are willing to stick it out. I truly believe that this "development" plan is one of the keys to my DD's success. She was brought along slowly vs. being thrown into a situation she was not ready for. She has always been our #1 or #2 pitcher, so she gets plenty of circle time.

Most teams go through some player transition every season. As the head coach, you need to decide if it is going to be the top 1/4 of your roster leaving for better teams, or the bottom 1/4 of your roster being cut to make room for better players. As you "progress" up the TB food chain, the answer to that question changes.

Our team has modeled similarly to your team's path over the past 2 1/2 years. We went from C ball to low B Ball then to High B Ball. Moving to 12U has been a tough transition but it seems to be for most as it is the largest adjustment in the game for the girls. Despite that our girls are hitting and playing defense well. We are only struggling with pitching and catching right now due to the adjustment. More pitching than anything but it was getting better pretty quickly over the Fall. My frustration is how many families have NOT been patient with the development process over time. Especially at such a young age. I get it is we are in 14U or higher. However in our age group (02 and 01), no one wants to be patient. They expect instant results and if not they hop. I feel it is worse than kids of the 00, 99, 98 and 97 ages I have watched.

Aug 20, 2013
What is it that you want to do? Thinking that no one would be hurt or harmed, would you hang up you whistle? Sometimes we take into account how our actions would affect too many and we end up hurting ourselves and those that matter most-you and yours.

I think you have to look back at your initial goals for starting/coaching this team. Are those being met? Have they been lost a long the way?

While this might sound like the impossible, it sounds like there are lots of other teams out there, could you finish the season and then have your daughter try out for another team and you just be a parent for a year? Or if you just can't fill your team, there is no reason why you can't be honest with those remaining. It sounds like you scramble for players, work your butt off to get them good and then they leave you for green pastures.

I wish I had more experience based advice, but I can only sympathize. Best of luck and keep us posted.

GG

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
However in our age group (02 and 01), no one wants to be patient. They expect instant results and if not they hop. I feel it is worse than kids of the 00, 99, 98 and 97 ages I have watched.

No matter what you do, you will always lose some players to the marquee organizations. Everyone wants to play for the Vipers or Impact (in GA). We were an independent team for 5 years, but 2nd year 14's we joined an organization. By 16U you almost have to join an organization if you want to get into the good showcases.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Been in your shoes many times. This is only going to get worse as the girls get older... I run a 98 A/B team... all 15yr olds! Drama nightmares. If they spent a fraction of the time working on their game as they do knocking each other down we'd be unstoppable! I've spent countless hours working on fundamentals on a kid, only to have her quit because she and "Sally" can't get along! There is no magic wand to fix this. You have to decide for yourself if the work is worth the reward?
Do the number of committed, hard working kids outweigh the number of duds? And how is your DD going to be affected off the field based on your decisions? Remember you're her dad first and coaching this team is just an excuse to be with your kid! Time with the other girls are just a part of the job with a different reward. Good luck, James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1