How many bases do they get.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2012
Bases loaded, catcher throws to third, all runners are going back to bases. Ball bounces off player and goes out of play. How many bases do each player get. I am thinking on one. 3rd base gets home, 2nd gets 3rd and 1st gets second. Ump at game, gave 3rd base home, 2nd base home and 1st base went to 3rd.

Oct 5, 2011
Sterling IL
they get the base they were going to plus 1. But its at the time of the throw not at the time when the ball goes out of play. So the case you stated each player gets the next base. Sounds like they gave them 2, not the correct call.

Jun 11, 2013
I'm 99 percent sure it's 2 bases. The runner going back to second is still "going to third". At least in ASA.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I had this question earlier in the season but my question was specific to a batted ball. on a batted ball, unless it is the first play by an infielder, when a ball goes out of play, each baserunner gets two bases from the last base occupied.
if it is the first play by an infielder, they award two bases from the time of the pitch which gets the batter to 2B. MY OPINION - If there are other runners on base, I would think that would give them two bases as well. in which case I can see the award for two bases where it went out of bounds - definitely worth pulling out the rule book, but I'm at work.

Jun 22, 2008
A throw ball is 2 bases from the runners location at the time of the throw. On a pitched ball it is 1 base from the time of the pitch.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
A throw ball is 2 bases from the runners location at the time of the throw. On a pitched ball it is 1 base from the time of the pitch.

For those needing the rulebook citation: ASA, Rule 8, Section 5-G-EFFECT.

Jun 24, 2013
I will have to get one of those someday, it is easier for me to make my own rules up and see how it goes.

For clarification, in this situation with the bases loaded would that be the lead runner then all runners behind get the same amount of bases. Obviously if the runner at second had got back to 2B but the runner at first was off the bag that could not work.

Jun 22, 2008
Even if the runner had gotten back to and was standing on 2ndto they would still be awarded home. 2 bases from the last base touched, if they are on 2nd 2or more bases is home. But to clarify yes, awards would be based on the lead runner. You can't have 2 runners both awarded the same base.