how has your pitching journey been?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2012
Started at 9 yrs old - now 13 yr always been small/slow but at times effective. Growth spirt last winter was 4-10 in the fall and is now 5-6.1/2 and still growing. Speed has really picked up, movement as well. While small we worked on hitting spots and spinning the ball. A LOT of Na-sayerz about her amounting to much in the circle over the last few years but now made the HS team on the #1 ranked 7A team in the state. Always a hard worker, now has sights to try to be a starter on the varsity squad. Attainable but She still has some work to do, but they ALWAYS will... I ABSOULTELY CHERISH the hundreds of hours spent with her sitting on the bucket, it doesnt last forever.... I used to fish and hunt a LOT and that will be there when her journey is complete but for now I am ENJOYING the journey, (I KNOW SHE IS TOO)

Mar 12, 2014
My daughter played up a year in 10U and did not pitch at all. At the end of the season, DD decided she wanted to pitch. It was a case of knowing nothing about fastball pitching, but between lessons and lots of reading/research she has progressed tremendously. She will be a 2nd year 12U for the upcoming season and we have experienced many of the emotions mentioned - but there has been an underlying steady progress. I enjoy being a pitching dad and often tell her. I hope it sticks in there somewhere. I have had to seriously work on in- game coaching and now basically stay silent, but the occasional pitching tip still slips through sometimes. We are both a work-in-progress. She pitches in games about 51-53 with the occasional 54 showing up, so we are not the fastest around but not the slowest. I enjoy the takes from other parents, it lets me know others are having many of the same issues and experiences. Thanks.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
While living in Italy, the CYSS softball coach needed another pitcher to help with DOD Europeans(13-15 year old team). They limited the amount of innings that a pitcher can pitch. Since DD was able to throw the ball over the strike zone, she was appointed as one of the pitchers. Next year we returned to the states and dd tried out and didn't make the middle school team. Next day after not making the team, we found a batting cage where she can work on improving her hitting. DD continued to show interest in pitching. She played 14U but was told she was too slow(pitched about 35-40 mph)and started too late for travel ball from the coaches. We hired a pc to help her. Next year as a freshman, she made JV as the starting pitcher. Her speed has increased and now throws a fb, drop, changeup, curveball and screwball. Because she turned 15, dd had to move up to HS travel ball. First HS travel ball team didn't play her much in tournaments. She quit the team and played rec ball where her team finished 1st in districts with a 9-2 record. Her last game in rec ball, she hit 2 home runs.The home runs was a huge confidence builder since she hardly ever batted on her last travel ball team. After rec ball, dd was guest playing with different teams. Last tournament, she was clocked on average 52-53 mph and change up at 38. Not the fastest been clocked at but she had control and good ball movement. In two weeks, her new travel ball team will be playing in their first tournament.
Right now, we are trying to stop the bending at the waist.

Sep 10, 2013
DD's journey continued last weekend with a showcase tournament. DD hit well but pitching was so-so. still bending at the waist not doing brush contact but that was expected. can't change things overnight :)

just like the other things that she fixed, this will take time. tonight we did practice and the bend was fixed!!!! but still no brush. i'm not calling it a victory just yet. DD needs to be able to do that 100's of times without reverting back to the old ways.

the journey continues...

patience... patience...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish