How fast should a slapper be?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
The slappers with some speed and the best bat control will survive. Not necessarily the fastest. Smart helps, too.

The key to being an effective slapper is to be able to read the defense like an NFL QB does pre-snap. Then, she has to have enough bat control to be able to drag bunt, power slap, half-slap or swing away based on what the defense is doing against her. A skilled slapper who can do these things will be more effective than a less-skilled slapper who is faster, simply because she is hitting 'em where they ain't.

Speed does matter, though. I don't look to convert girls unless they're fast .... usually in the top 20%. They have to be able to beat out a drag bunt when the D is in tight and they also need to be able to beat out a slap that isn't charged hard enough by an infielder. That is a huge part of their game and the main reasons why you don't see many slow slappers. :eek:

LAS nailed it here. There is always a hole in the defense. They have to be able to exploit it.
If your slapper can hit away too, it makes it impossible to defend against her.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
FWIW, I had the opportunity to time Kayla Braud (Alabama) on many separate occasions with a stop watch. Contact to foot touching first base was always 2.69-2.75.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In my mind there are two types of slappers - track stars who take advantage of their speed, and "triple threat" players who can bunt, slap and hit for power. These girls may not be quite as fast, but because they can hit for power, they take what the defense give them. A track star who can also hit for power is extremely difficult to defend.

Oct 2, 2015
What are you guys using when you're timing them run?
A standard stopwatch?
Or are these laser timed speeds?

I've read (and yes it could be BS) that laser timed runs are the only ones that you can trust?
Is this true?

If my DD runs over and over, and I'm getting relatively the same times each run with a stopwatch. Are the times I'm getting fairly close to real world?

Thanks

Yes, I would agree that getting into the 2.8s is the price of admission. Even faster is better, as is the ability to swing away and put balls into the gaps or over outfielders' heads. When you can hit it hard, they can't play you quite as short, which gives a skilled slapper an advantage with all her tools, not just swinging away.

Feb 15, 2016
Yes, I would agree that getting into the 2.8s is the price of admission. Even faster is better, as is the ability to swing away and put balls into the gaps or over outfielders' heads. When you can hit it hard, they can't play you quite as short, which gives a skilled slapper an advantage with all her tools, not just swinging away.

I would add that there are a lot of fast girls who can slap who are competing for the same spots. How well does she play defense? I have seen a lot of fast girls who don't get a good jump on the ball on defense so their speed is not that effective. That speedy fielder who snags a blooper over second or runs down a sure gap double for an out at the wall in left center is an asset to the team in multiple ways.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie