How far would you drive?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I think about what it was like when I was that age.

I grew up in Fayetteville, Ark. I loved the piano, and had the best piano teacher around, an elderly nun. Most of her other students were Catholic, but she would take talented non-Catholic students. I had to spend a year taking lessons from one of her former students before Sister Mildred would even consider taking me on as a student.

Then, not long afterwards, she moved to a convent for retired nuns in Fort Smith. At the time, the only road was a narrow, windy mountain road, US 71. This was long before the interstate was built in NW Arkansas. 1 1/2 hours each way, 2 counties away, for a lesson with a truly great piano teacher. No possible way to work on homework on those roads. Just looking at a book would lead to serious carsickness.

By the time I was a sophomore in HS, spending all day every Saturday on a piano lesson was really wearing me down, so I quit the piano.

DD 3 might be talented enough for a really good team, if she really worked on it. Problem is, the best teams are about 75 minutes away. If DD 3 really showed she was willing to work that hard, and if she really wanted to travel that far for a good team, I would consider it. Depends on a lot of other factors. Right now I'm not in a position to drive her there and back.

Oct 10, 2011
We have been driving between 45 min- 1 1/2 but that's only because she's older. At the younger ages we just had her play up a level or so.

Apr 1, 2010
One year I drove DD about 50 minutes each way to practice and the next year I drove her about an hour each way. They were the teams she wanted, but it does take away a lot from the rest of your life. On the other hand, I had a lot more time to talk to her.

Hey, what's the deal with this ad showing up on my post???

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
One year I drove DD about 50 minutes each way to practice and the next year I drove her about an hour each way. They were the teams she wanted, but it does take away a lot from the rest of your life. On the other hand, I had a lot more time to talk to her.

Unfortunately, my DD falls asleep half the time on the ride!

Jun 19, 2013

This was what I was going to say. Last year we had about an hour ride if we left early enough to beat the traffic, which then meant we were also to the fields about 40 mins before any other players. It was a lot of gas and time in the car but hanging out with her was a lot of fun. Listening to her music, hearing about her day and just sharing the experience made for some fun memories. I really don't regret that year a bit and can see probably doing it again next year. And for us the better coaching and team was very worth it for her development . . . BUT mine was 12 not 8 so that would definitely weigh into my decision.

Jun 12, 2015
One of the keys to getting better is not necessarily to be on a great team, but to PLAY against great teams, especially if your DD is a pitcher. Getting on the best team in town and kicking the crap out of all the other weaker teams in the area that you turned your nose up at is really kind of counterproductive....

That's a perspective I had not really considered.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
We are driving 60 miles one way for each of my DD's teams, one is 8u and the other is 10u. Half of the 10u players on DD's team are driving 60-80 miles one way, coming from all directions.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
We currently drive an hour for 18U and I'm driving by 2 other teams that are a bit closer but DD likes this team. I do to but hate the drive. She will get her license in Dec. but I'm not sure I want her making that drive in rush hour.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
DD is 16. We drive 45 minutes one way to hitting lessons at least once a week. Practice is local but tournaments for the most part are not. We drive 3.5 - 4 hours for tournaments nearly every weekend during the summer and fall. And one 10 hour trip for a showcase tournament. Gotta do what you gotta do...

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
One of the keys to getting better is not necessarily to be on a great team, but to PLAY against great teams, especially if your DD is a pitcher. Getting on the best team in town and kicking the crap out of all the other weaker teams in the area that you turned your nose up at is really kind of counterproductive....

You are describing my team and my philosophy to a tee!

11U (all 2003's) town team (girls all came from our rec program) playing 12U Gold travel league...we are 0-6 and have been mercied in the 5th or 6th every game...pitchers get roughed up pretty good now and then but it forces them to hit their spots, work on their change up and their 3rd pitch...defensively they are challenged and they see very good pitching every game. My catchers and outfield have improved immensely from this...to add to this "mindset"...we are playing in a 14U NSA qualifier in 4 weeks just so we can be prepared for the ASA "B" Nationals 2 weeks after...

MORE importantly IMO, the girls continue to develop and improve. My parents are OK with the losses because they see their DD's progress (I was very clear on my plan for the next 2 years with them up front)...we also keep it fun with the girls...to me "winning" at this stage is not the primary goal...development is...

In tournaments, we play to our class B status and have had success this season...

I'm not sure if you can do that and keep you travel time down, but to JAD's point, my team is an example of exactly what he describes...CP

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid