How far do you travel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD has been on the same team for 2 years and during that time the team practice field has changed a couple of times. At first we drove a little over an hour, then it was just under an hour, this summer they practice at a local JC that is less than 30 minutes away.

The best part is that DD now has her license and can drive herself to practice so I don't need to leave the office early during the week.

Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
During DD's middle travel years, she played on a team for 3 years that had practice about 1hr 45 minute drive each way. More recently her travel team practice location (last 2 years) was about 1 hr door to door with no traffic - traffic could add 15 to 45 mins to the drive. Next year she walks from the dorm to the field ... nice!

Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for the replies. Our girls have to try out each year and the coach suggests they try out for several other teams also. My DD wanted to tryout with for a team about an hour away (she doesn't want to change teams), but it got me thinking. It sure takes a lot of dedication to go as far as some of you do. I sure hope the girls appreciate it!

Oct 10, 2011
We're in a unique situation. DD's teammates (13U) are 4 hours away in a different state. Teammates are busy with school ball now (DD doesn't play school ball, but even if she did, in our state school ball is in the Fall) but soon the travel season will begin in earnest and DD will live with her grandparents for the summer (they live where her TB team is based). It will be a fun adventure. Given the quality of coaching and the level of play, we feel it's worth it. Definitely not for everyone. The cool thing is that our first summer tourney is this wekend, and it happens to be in our home town. ASA nationals are here too so if we qualify that would really help out.

But here's the REALLY cool part. Her TB coach is also an assistant coach of an excellent Div. 2 college team right here in our home town, so she's been able to have individual workouts with him all winter and Spring. You simply would not believe the improvement. Looking forward to Saturday. We have no idea if this will work again next year (it gets very complicated - her coach this year cannot coach the team next year), but it will be fun to enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.

My DD is the same age and would probably love it, but I'd go crazy if she were away that long.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Winter hitting and pitching practices are held in the coaches pole barn, 4 minutes from home. Indoor winter fielding is at a school gym less then 10 minutes awy, and the HS filed where we hold the outdoor practices are also about 10 minutes away.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
50 minutes each way twice a week during the winter and once a week during the season. Tourneys are 2 to 2 hours away.

There are closer teams, but the extra distance is worth it to get the right fit for DD - coaches, players, parents and needs of the team

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321