How does the transfer portal work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
When a student athlete enters the portal, is everything up for grabs at that point or are there back room discussions so that they have it figured out before entering the portal.

In the course of their eligibility to play, how many times can a student transfer?

Nov 5, 2014
To answer your first question, by rule coaches cannot have contact with players until they are in the transfer portal. In reality many(maybe most) players have intermediaries, usually travel coaches, contacting college coaches on their behalf before they enter the portal. I know if specific circumstances where I know this to be true and feel comfortable saying it is common practice.

Your 2nd question is a little more nuanced. You are allowed to transfer as many times as you want the only thing in question is when you are eligible to compete at your new school. The rule is you must sit out a year when transferring within or up a division, but there are multiple exceptions too receive a waiver from this rule including if this is your first time transferring. So in essence everyone gets 1 free transfer with immediate eligibility no questions asked. For subsequent transfers you must meet one of the other waiver criteria to be immediately eligible. In the last several years the NCAA has been fairly accommodating in granting the waivers. Supposedly they are going to begin tightening up that process.

Apr 28, 2014
DD just went through the process. Like Bahl she wanted to be closer to home. I was devastated as she had a great year on a team in the Sunbelt conference which is super competitive along with an incredible scholarship. It was a very difficult decision but she spoke with another pitcher who transferred from a mid major last year. DD told her coaches and they were sad but were very supportive. She filled out the paperwork and entered the portal on a Monday. Email arrived at 9AM confirming and she received 12 or so emails that day. By the end of the first week she had 4-5 dozen emails mostly d1 schools along with some D2 and D3 interest. She spoke with many coaches and visited a few schools in our area. By the end of the process she narrowed it down to 3 schools and just committed last night to a Big 10 program.
It can be a scary process as she did not try the route of calling her travel coach for behind the scene deals. She took a leap of faith and it all worked out thus far. She did get a letter a few days after entered the portal telling her that all of her athletic money at her former school had been cut. That's part of the process but is painful. Fortunately, she's a very good student and all of her credits will transfer. I was proud of how she handled the process and the way she called each coach that she spoke with to thank them and share her decision. If you have any specific questions feel free to DM me.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD just went through the process. Like Bahl she wanted to be closer to home. I was devastated as she had a great year on a team in the Sunbelt conference which is super competitive along with an incredible scholarship. It was a very difficult decision but she spoke with another pitcher who transferred from a mid major last year. DD told her coaches and they were sad but were very supportive. She filled out the paperwork and entered the portal on a Monday. Email arrived at 9AM confirming and she received 12 or so emails that day. By the end of the first week she had 4-5 dozen emails mostly d1 schools along with some D2 and D3 interest. She spoke with many coaches and visited a few schools in our area. By the end of the process she narrowed it down to 3 schools and just committed last night to a Big 10 program.
It can be a scary process as she did not try the route of calling her travel coach for behind the scene deals. She took a leap of faith and it all worked out thus far. She did get a letter a few days after entered the portal telling her that all of her athletic money at her former school had been cut. That's part of the process but is painful. Fortunately, she's a very good student and all of her credits will transfer. I was proud of how she handled the process and the way she called each coach that she spoke with to thank them and share her decision. If you have any specific questions feel free to DM me.
Congrats!!! I hope she kicks A$$ at Penn St.

May 13, 2023
Congratulations on successfully navigating the process.

Question please what was her hitting statistics at the college she left?

Pitcher?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Thanks brother! You missing Colorado this week? :)
Of course! I was supposed to be there over the past weekend for my annual pilgrimage to Panic at Red Rocks. 1st year to miss since 2015. I loved my 10 days in Colorado. Panic for the 1st weekend and then roll into IDT to the rest of the week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles