HOW do you Teach TILT!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
See the dirt under the 'red arrow' in the gif below .... what makes that dirt kick up?

soy135.gif

Pressure from the muscles in the pelvis that are responsible for moving the legs. IOW, your butt muscles. Or he could have just stepped on a squirrel and it's trying to dig itself out.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Miyahira: "As I shall show later, these powerful movements of the hips not only pertain to golf, it applies to baseball pitching/hitting, tennis serves/groundstrokes, sprinting, and many other sports requiring rotations. The premise here is that the movements originate in the lower spine and pelvis, then to the ground and back up vs. the universally accepted norm of all movements start from the ground up."

Understand what TM is saying when he speaks of the hips as being the "bottom of the top", as opposed to the "top of the bottom". While he has often give a convoluted explanation, he is basically saying that the hips are inclusive of the torso ... and he is correct. He's saying that the torso consists of the body minus the legs + arms + head. The bottom of the torso is ...... the hips ... and hence why he constantly speaks of the hips as the "bottom of the top".

While the torso obviously twists, it is the legs that are responsible for turning the torso ... and hence the hips.

Both the torso and legs move, yet it is the legs that apply force to move the hips.

2q326as.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The external pressure at the rear foot assists in driving the femur and hip forward.

I don’t believe anyone is suggesting that the rear leg doesn’t abduct. The evidence is clear ... the rear leg is abducting. Further, that is a significant portion of causing the sideways pressure at the rear foot in the direction of the catcher.

I believe the question is more about what is taking place beyond simple abduction of the rear leg.

The rear leg is coiled … and we have discussed the feel of a torsion spring like load in the rear leg as part of the loading process. Not surprisingly, the unload consists of an uncoiling of the rear leg … and it compliments the abduction in the rear leg.

34diuti.gif

v6hhs7.gif

Think of it this way … many write of the hips leading the upper torso. That’s what we see in the clips above … we see a drive forward into heel plant with the hips leading … and while the torso can indeed twist, it is the legs that are supplying force to move the hips/torso. The hitters above are using their rear leg and the resulting ground force reaction to accomplish what they are doing.

The differences in our discussion here, comes about due to our differences in the load. Whether one loads in a purely linear manner … via ‘sit’, ‘sway’, ‘scrunch’ … or via a combination that includes ‘coiling’ of the ‘rear leg’.

No one is advocating a lack of abduction. No one is advocating spin. The difference here, IMO anyway, … is between pure abduction taking place to drive forward into heel-plant … versus a combination of abduction of the rear leg and uncoil of the rear leg.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I'll let you guys discuss the physio stuff. It seems to me the hammy and a little calf even sort of get it going and the butt and core muscles then fire the hip uncoil. just guessing. Probably not worth mentioning my guessing, except I came to just ponder if shot-putting would be relevant to this. What is the rear leg action of a shot putter? I would imagine that too would be critical for their sport.

Apr 27, 2011
I'll let you guys discuss the physio stuff. It seems to me the hammy and a little calf even sort of get it going and the butt and core muscles then fire the hip uncoil. just guessing. Probably not worth mentioning my guessing, except I came to just ponder if shot-putting would be relevant to this. What is the rear leg action of a shot putter? I would imagine that too would be critical for their sport.

I'm all about the hips leading the swing, however if you have a kid that just doesn't get it, tell her to jump start the hips with the knee and watch the instant success. Next film her and show her the results. Most generally it is just too much to comprehend. Ask your hitters to tell you what they think is leading; hips or knee from the above video. I ask D1 players regularly about the swing, and most have no clue.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
in addition to ABduction there is ongoing IR. active ER as some describe will slacken the system

Tom ... just to clarify your position ... by 'ongoing' IR you are writing of at least two 'phases' .... and in the first phase you mean IR as one coils their rear hip around a resistive rear femur, ... as in during the loading phase, and as one creates a torsion-like spring in their rear leg ... and then an 'ongoing'/continued IR as the rear leg untwists/unloads into heel-plant ... where that 'ongoing' IR basically has the top of the rear leg (top of the femur), and the bottom of the rear leg (foot), applying pressure in different directions ... where the pressure in the top of the rear leg is 'forward & counter-clockwise' for a RH hitter & the pressure in the rear foot is 'rearward & clockwise' ... and that these two phases take us from 'load/coil' to the 'unload into heel-plant'. Is that a fair interpretation of how you see things?

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
to answer let me know what phases you are thinking of for context (what are all the phases and how sequenced/how much overlapping) and what do you mean by/how does this relate to load coil and unload ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallsize1516