How do you make it fun?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
Just curious how you make practicing fun? Looking for all things pitching, hitting and fielding. I will post some of mine when I have real keyboard. Try to think of when THEY were having fun, not necessarily us. Happy New Year!

Ps if you just want to comment about kids needing to want it and have drive and such, I respectfully ask that you refrain from commenting.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Our winter practices take place in a basketball gym. Sometimes we pack up all the gear and play basketball for part of the practice. Including the coaches. Our players really seem to enjoy making the coaches look bad!!

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
We crank the music up and I do a sarcastic play-by-play during dd's pitching practice. I guess it's not really a play-by-play, but more like I'm the mouthy catcher really giving it to the imaginary batters. She stays relaxed and even busts out some dance moves and we laugh a little at how bad these "batters" are...lol

Mar 29, 2012
after stretching and line drills we will sometiumes turn the music on and they will do the cupid shuffle or cha cha slide as part of their warmup.

we also do a lot of competition, knock the ball off the tee, who can get the most hits in a row on a barry bonds drill, who can lay down the most bunts in a row.

we do a competition wher we set up cones like goals and 2 girls face off and try to throw grounders past the other girl.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Sometimes you find a drill and make it fun. Always involve competition in them. Communicate with your girls. Ask them what they want to do. I did a drill one time and I thought it was kind of lame-o. But one of my gurlz suggested we try a different approach and set up teams. One of the funniest and memorable times I had practicing. What also helps is when you the coach gets involved. Like doing the drills with them. Fun stuff there too. Just think outside the box and think how you would like to have fun at a practice.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
competitions among each other or as teams. I have 2 big cow bells I let them throw at, two big balls that sit on plungers stuck down in Tees, Fielding and throwing the First (1 point if the first baseman is able to catch it without coming off base or without the ball bouncing. 1/2 point if it gets there but bounces. 0 points if it misses. Then move to 2nd and 3rd bases. Pop fly drills, last player standing, hitting drills - bunt, fake bunt, followed by 5 regular swings, 1 point gets to the grass, 5 points if it gets to the fence. End with water balloons being thrown at the head coach standing on home plate with players on pitchers mound.

PS - lots of loud fun music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG