How do you handle a bad attitude on your team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
I'm sorry, but that girl should have been benched for raising the bat at the pitcher. Immeaditly. That behavior is so far beyond the pale it's not funny.

HC is weak.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
I agree with Lozza. This player is acting out, and rather than providing discipline, the HC is enabling by allowing it to continue.

How is this affecting the team and the other players? If you see that it is bringing down the level of play and the girls' spirits, I think it is appropriate to say something - since it is about the team.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
That girl is running the team. Not the HC. Until he has the stones to step up and do what's best for the team the situation will continue to deteriorate. Unfortunately, it sounds like the HC did not set the tone from the start of the season and now the team is paying the price. It's hard to expect players/families to come back after seeing a player running the team instead of the the HC. I would expect to see this team disintegrate once the last game of the season is over.

I'm the AC on our team and we are in a similar situation. The #1 pitcher and her mother are running the team behind the scenes along with 2 other parents. I discussed the situation in various forms with HC and he seems to just ignore it. After the third attempt, I decided to just get through the season. I personally know of 4 families that are leaving the team. They have come up to me and in not so many words, basically told me they were leaving because of them. We will be doing the same although I have not discussed our plans with anyone outside our family.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
As a coach I would have nipped it in the bud. If I have a girl who is not listening to my instructions, I don't need them. A cancer I don't need either, from a player or their parents.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I saw a unique or unusual one a few weeks ago, the coach had a pre game meeting with the "parents", and explained what was happening at this game, "he was playing to win" and the girls with the most experience were going to be playing, because some girls U12 had not shown satisfactory skill levels and if the parents did not start spending more time with the girls, playing catch on the side , they would not see much playing time, this is 10 games into a 25 game schedule.. Not exactly the real topic here, but a coach with Control.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I saw a unique or unusual one a few weeks ago, the coach had a pre game meeting with the "parents", and explained what was happening at this game, "he was playing to win" and the girls with the most experience were going to be playing, because some girls U12 had not shown satisfactory skill levels and if the parents did not start spending more time with the girls, playing catch on the side , they would not see much playing time, this is 10 games into a 25 game schedule.. Not exactly the real topic here, but a coach with Control.

Devils advocate here ...

Is it a rec league? If so, I think coming to practice and having a good attitude are all you need to be guaranteed playing time. Skill is irrelevant.

If this is a travel team, or one in which the players had to try out, then I'd want to know if this expectation (that players practice on their own) and this philosophy (playing time will be distributed in ways that maximizing winning) were expressed at the start.

Dec 7, 2011
To me this is a formula to run away from:

Bad attitude players + those same players being the daughters of any of the coaches + high-investment "exposure" teams + eventual poor play that induces Losses = certain collapse.

DD & I have had the misfortune to be on two teams like this in DD's five years of up-n-down TB-A experience.

I would love to take a poll on what % of good/bad experiences you folks have endured in your DD's TB-A team involvement to date.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
A few weeks ago, we experienced what happens when HC doesn't address these problems. Pitcher became increasingly diva-like all season, had a clique, parents continually threatened to leave unless DD got to pitch/play favorite position. Coach responded with guaranteed playing time and a blind eye "for the good of the team". Play and attitude degraded throughout the season.

Parent bailed to start a new team and the 5 clique girls went with her. By caving to demands and ignoring the ugliness "for the good of the team", HC encouraged the behavior and the reward for everyone else was more misery and no team to play on.
Had he cut her months ago, it's likely the team would have had to replace as many as 2 players, but the team would have survived and the experience for most would have been good.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I can admit that as a coach I have made some of the mistakes mentioned here. I have also learned a TON about TB as well. It is not Rec Ball. It is monetarily based. It is also rooted in families who feel their child is a prodigy and do not understand team sports. I have NEVER given a commitment to playing time yet I've been accused of it. I will also say that after 3-4 instances of this type of drama I have learned the only thing that works is having a discussion with them where I do a lot of the listening and speak little. After it is done, I tell them their choices are not in line with this team and ask them to go ahead and move on since they are unhappy. I only know this because of doing it wrong 3-4 times. Ignoring bad attitudes NEVER does any good. This is the new line and should be for all coaches. Life is too short to be unhappy whether a parent of coach.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Devils advocate here ...

Is it a rec league? If so, I think coming to practice and having a good attitude are all you need to be guaranteed playing time. Skill is irrelevant.

If this is a travel team, or one in which the players had to try out, then I'd want to know if this expectation (that players practice on their own) and this philosophy (playing time will be distributed in ways that maximizing winning) were expressed at the start.

It is a competitive league,,no restrictions// Meeting worked, parents understand ,maybe 12-14 girls and some do not see much if any playing time, depends on time limit some games, where a time at bat may be close, bit clock runs out.
He does not have issues with getting players as he knows how to instruct, pitching as well, as a lot of coaches do not posses this ability, and he spends time with all, but he informs the parents as to what is happening on a development level as well, probably if i came down to 9 , that is the way it would be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad