How do you define success on the field.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2014
This year for Rec ball just being competitive by the end of the year was huge success. Every girl on that team made huge improvements lost a few by 1 point at the end. and I as a coach Grew a LOT.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Success on the field is probably near impossible to measure. My DD hit .357 in open ball at 12U led the team in most offensive categories to include RBI's, Walks, OBP, OPS, SLUG etc.... but what is successful about those numbers? The success with just my DD is that last season she could swing and miss air and this year was hitting in the 3 hole. That is success on the field, a player that becomes better at their craft. Our pitcher last season in C ball had a 1.20 ERA this season in Open had a 2.81 ERA i would think she was extremely successful this season facing some of the best teams around every weekend.

A 12 pitch at bat is success to a coach but rarely to a player at these young ages. Success on the field is a reflection of the guidance and knowlege provided by the coaches off the field.

Team BA in 12U C last season-.286
Team BA in 12U Open this season-.304 Success.

Oct 31, 2011
Atlanta
As a coach for a prominent travel softball organization in southern California the definition of "success" for us is age specific; meaning, at the younger ages, 8u to 14u success is about "player development." At the older ages, 16u to 18u, the definition of success is quality "exposure" at college showcase events. In either case success is never defined solely or primarily as "winning." Do we want to win...absolutely. However, whether at PGF, ASA, Triple Crown we always look at opportunities to get better as being a measure of our success or getting our older kids seen and ultimately committed to college.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Defining success on the field without using numbers to me means number of smiles/kid at the end of each game, growth as a player and a person at the end of each season. I'm a simple guy, what can I say.

Using numbers, I like OPS, OBP (1.8x more important than SLG according to The Book), and QAB. For pitching I still prefer WHIP over the more advanced metrics because I don't really understand the advanced metrics yet. Defense is harder to qualify, but E and unearned runs are important (even though the pitcher can be responsible for some of these). Overall: W-L.

Ray

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA