How do you build a winning team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
At 12u, give me the 3 highest-rated pitchers in the region and the 2 highest-rated catchers and then the 7 best hitters you can find. With that personnel, even someone who knows very little about coaching will have a winning program.

You're all right about having the ability to put bat on ball. The kids who can do it naturally are an asset, even if they're near-total liabilities in the field.

2 years ago my team represented this list. I said at the start "If I don't screw up we should win state" we did by an average margin of 6 runs a game.

Got close to this again this year and so far we are 17-5 record 1/3 the way through the season.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
jjsomer, valid argument.

I can't speak for others, but my coaching never ends although it does die down the older they get. I guess you could say I "coached" from 6-12, raw talent that needed to be taught and molded into players. Then about 14U it turns more to "managing" a team, with coaching on the side. And with management comes the responsibility of recruiting the best talent for the team's expectations.

Also as they get older most go to "specialized" coaches ( HC / PC ) off the field so that helps in regards to "teaching".

The physical part is easy IMO, what I do then is teach the mental part of this game. This is a strategic game for sure. There is more going on than hits, plays, pitches and outs.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
jjsomer, excellent point. True coaching should be developing talent not seek the best. Teams who stay together with great coaching can develop into power teams, over picking the best and rebuilding every year. If the girls were put first-the experience of TB, competition, and fun, SB would be a whole different story. Coaches who look to win at any cost, are robbing the girls.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Pitching, pitching and pitching.....then throw is a couple of solid catchers, a couple of middle infielders and some big sticks and you have yourself a team!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Once you have a solid SS and 2nd baseman, I would be willing to take a slight downgrade on defense if a girl brings a big stick.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Softball is not Baseball. It is faster and has a short game. Hitting is not always for power to score. Manufacturing runs is an very important part of the game however...Speed and Vision matter on the bag and in the field. I not so sure this is so cut and dry as Hitting vs. Defense. In a simple equation sure Hitting always matters. But I like Sluggers comments as he begins to assess positions to consider in line with the hitting theory. I think building a group of compatible players who know each others weeakness and stregths can be a winning combo. I see teams of all ages around here that cannot quite win...cannnot quite get over the hurdle. They are recruiting Big, Fast Hitters. Yet it is not working because team chemistry does not exist. Championships take time. They are not instant. Recruiting is important but at what point is Having an A level player with a serious attitude (b/c the parents feed them the "I am the best" cereal everyday) over a Solid B level player who knows their role and adds to the team depth. I do not claim to know all I just feel this is a fantactic debate that will rage forever and never be so simple. :)

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
jjsomer, excellent point. True coaching should be developing talent not seek the best. Teams who stay together with great coaching can develop into power teams, over picking the best and rebuilding every year. If the girls were put first-the experience of TB, competition, and fun, SB would be a whole different story. Coaches who look to win at any cost, are robbing the girls.

And Robbing the Game....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole