How do you beat the heat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2021
Canopy, hat, LOTS of water. Last year they moved part of the Zoom into June tournament to Scottsdale, which was great because that is local. Of course it was 112-113 the whole time. I felt bad for the teams from WA and OR. For summer we leave the state or go up to the high altitudes in the northern part of the state.

Being acclimatized really helps. I play golf all summer and have played a couple times in the late afternoon when the car said 118-119. At that point the wind barely even helps. It just makes the hot come faster, like a convection oven.

Apr 8, 2019
Canopy, hat, LOTS of water. Last year they moved part of the Zoom into June tournament to Scottsdale, which was great because that is local. Of course it was 112-113 the whole time. I felt bad for the teams from WA and OR. For summer we leave the state or go up to the high altitudes in the northern part of the state.

Being acclimatized really helps. I play golf all summer and have played a couple times in the late afternoon when the car said 118-119. At that point the wind barely even helps. It just makes the hot come faster, like a convection oven.
I was at that Zoom into June. It was brutal. I thought two dads were going to beat each other to death with their sun umbrellas over a sliver of shade from a light pole.

I am acclimated as well, primarily because I'm too cheap to play golf when the tourists are in town. But there is something about sitting for two full days in +110 degrees that wears you down. Not to mention my wife wisely won't even consider attending when it's that hot. So I bake by myself, quietly praying for an early elimination.

Oct 14, 2019
I was at that Zoom into June. It was brutal. I thought two dads were going to beat each other to death with their sun umbrellas over a sliver of shade from a light pole.

I am acclimated as well, primarily because I'm too cheap to play golf when the tourists are in town. But there is something about sitting for two full days in +110 degrees that wears you down. Not to mention my wife wisely won't even consider attending when it's that hot. So I bake by myself, quietly praying for an early elimination.
I had a seminar in Scottsdale in March one year. Skipped out to watch Bonds and the Giants and a tour of Taliesin West.

Apr 1, 2017
When the heat really becomes unbearable we will break out the Ryobi ONE+ 18V Portable Bucket Top Misting Fan and a bucket of ice water which work really well. They both run on the Ryobi battery system, which I already have good number of batteries and chargers from various Ryobi tools I own.
I bought one of these last year for the teams trip to Florida. Only used it with the ice/water bucket a few times, but works well just as fan to keep some air moving too.

I really like the ryobi battery system (I'm sure there are others, but ryobi is what i started with). For softball games, I have the fan, a power converter to keep phones charged on long tournament days, and portable speaker. Same batteries run all my tools/yard tools at home, so always have plenty of them charged.

May 1, 2018
Alright Texas checking in: The floor dryers for carpet cleaners, in the dugout with dry ice in front of it. You talk about cooling an area down quick!!
Everything else everyone says we do to, Canopy, frog Toggs, frozen fruit, but that air blower is next level.

Feb 15, 2017
Find/bring your own shade is number 1...After that we use the Ryobi ONE+ 18V Cordless 4 in. Clamp Fan for ourselves most of the time. When the heat really becomes unbearable we will break out the Ryobi ONE+ 18V Portable Bucket Top Misting Fan and a bucket of ice water which work really well. They both run on the Ryobi battery system, which I already have good number of batteries and chargers from various Ryobi tools I own.

Another thing we do for us and the girls when it's really hot is make up a batch of Florida Water to wipe ourselves down with. I don't pretend to understand the science behind why it makes you feel cooler and more refreshed, but it really seems to work. You can google recipes for mixing it up.
Add a little mango scent to the Florida water.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Canopy, mission/frog togg towels, mission bucket hat, frozen fruit, wet wipes, enough water and Gatorade to hydrate a small army.

I will try the fan this year. Saw a couple families with that this last Summer.

Might go with the large straw hat this year. Not coaching anymore so even more reason to embarrass DD.

Oct 10, 2018
Might try what we use for our dog - a dog waterbed filled with ice water, adding more ice water throughout the day as it looses its cool. Sitting on it or putting it on your back will cool you right off. Fred (the dog) attends all the summer tournaments and is the most comfortable being there. Google K&H dog cool bed - chewy.com has them for $40.00

Attachments

• fredcrop.jpg
    fredcrop.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00