How did you guys actually get started as pitching coaches---Am I crazy?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
The most important thing is to understand the pitching motion from a biomechanical perspective. If you have a good understanding of that, there aren't many problems you won't be able to diagnose and correct. And Coach Pauly has it exactly right....the hardest part is finding the cue or phrase that makes it click in the student's brain. My mentor once told me you don't really teach anyone to do anything. You set the stage and phrase things in a way that they can figure it out for themselves.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
If you have experience with electricity you are ahead of the game. You must be able to "make the light bulb turn on".

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I started out of a love for the game. I was a Jv coach and it didn't take long to realize the pitcher was the most important position on the dirt. I started asking pitchers question after question. I went to clinics and bought tapes of pitching coaches. I got advice from Doug Finch and took students to Earnie Parker. In my area their was a need for pitching coaches , so I gave free lessons for 3 years as my apprenticeship. I'm still learning every time I give a lesson. This site and the coaches that give advice on it has been the biggest resource I've found. Boardmember rocked my world and I changed direction and am glad I did. I've bought Rick Pauly's and Bill Hillhouse's dvd's or downloads. I recommend them. Go for it.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Maybe start with one of your 10 year old daughters friends who also pitches and offer them free (or discounted) lessons to see how it goes teaching a non-daughter student. The one advantage you have in teaching your own kids is that they can have lessons every day from you if they have the time. Teaching once a week will be more difficult and a new experience.

^^I'm thinking this unless you have pitched. Read all the stickies. Be careful, stand back, and watch more often than you speak.

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
Been away for awhile. I understand external to internal rotation but I don't know what HE stands for.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Further note: If I was looking for a new PC for my 13 YO, I would probably overlook you. But yes, you need to start somewhere. 8U or 10U is my recommendation after you've digested all the I/R info you've read here. And after you've watched videos of the best of the best. Watch more than you speak....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad