How Critical is Brush

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Can u have to much brush? Maybe a better question would b where should the elbow hit the hip?

I think “brush” is a better cue than “hit.” The inside of the forearm makes the most contact—just below the elbow. The forearm should brush, or roll around the hip. It should not be a hard bump and any discomfort should be a flag.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I think “brush” is a better cue than “hit.” The inside of the forearm makes the most contact—just a few inches down from the elbow. The forearm should brush, or roll around the hip. It should not be a hard bump and any discomfort should be a flag.

Is this an example of what you consider "brush"?

21mu8om.gif

Feb 7, 2013
So do you guys recommend an arm sleeve to lessen any redness or bruising from "brush interference"? Seems that some of the elite pitchers who brush,wear them.

DD has limited brush around the bicep but I would like to get her to brush below the bicep for better control and velocity.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
From the outward appearance I think it looks good. I'd like to hear from the pitcher what he/she feels and perceives the advantage is to the brush is before making a final judgment.

Okay. It appears that you could look at this and possibly refer to it as a "brush". From memory, OILF looked at something like this and referred to it as a "whack". The point being ... if someone recommends avoiding a bump, redness, hit, etc ... then they could take that advice and attempt to avoid what some consider to be a "brush".

Many would look at this and consider the contact to be more than a simple brushing action.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Notice in the GIF below how tight/close the hand is to the body upon release. I consider this desirable ... and a product of brush-assisted-whip.

sfez5l.gif

p.s.
Here's a side view for a comparison.

fciryx.gif

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
After a day of throwing, my forearm gets a little pink. I don't recall it ever getting sore or bruised (except when I first tried it and bumped a few times.)

If someone is complaining of pain, I'd like to see the motion and ask what cues they are using that might result in the discomfort.

I recall a few cases where "leading with the elbow" was taken to the extreme and the were not allowing whip and I/R to occur naturally. Instead of asking them to stop leading with the elbow or locking, I'd suggest tweaking the cue(s) until they realized the benefit of "leading." Same with brush.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Keep in mind, my referenced response was directed to sbcowboy and his DD's concern about discomfort and swelling. I'd like to see the video of her motion and ask her what her cues are to see if something could be tweaked. I'm an advocate of brush and I look for a release with little or no observable space between the thigh and hand.

Last edited:
IMO the front view GIF is a great example of BI.....note the contact with the thigh is way down to within an inch of the wrist joint. Again, it is an opinion based on experience but the closer the BI is to the wrist joint the better the control/location accuracy, the better the assist in arm deceleration which is big from an injury standpoint, and better transfer of energy for spin/speed.

Pitchers that are experiencing pain are probably not allowing the arm to roll though or as some have suggested they are driving the point of the elbow into the side vs allow IR to move the inside of the elbow into the side.

Notice in the GIF below how tight/close the hand is to the body upon release. I consider this desirable ... and a product of brush-assisted-whip.

sfez5l.gif

p.s.
Here's a side view for a comparison.

fciryx.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi