Hooray for Outdoor Practices!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2013
Maryland
Our first outdoor practice of the season is Saturday regardless of temperature. We've been indoors since Mid-October. I don't know who has cabin fever worse, me or the team.

Any suggestions for making the transition smooth and enjoyable for everyone.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Regardless of temperature? I had a clinic yesterday. It was windy and 47. I arrived and the Little League was not prepared - in fact they weren't there. I was told that they would have the girls there 30 minutes prior to start time and have them warmed up. No. So, I was stuck trying to get things organized. I was expecting 7 and had 17. We warmed up overhand - and I did not. I was busy setting up.

Oh, well. What I want to say is warm up slowly and include yourself. Light jogging, dynamic warm ups, drink water, warm up over hand. What if you introduce some 2 ball drills? They are throwing with their partner and then each person throws a ball.

I think that you need to introduce something new and fun, so that they are glad that they came. How long are you going to be out there? How old are they?

Dec 7, 2011
This kind of thread turns me into the most childish and makes me say things like, "my dad can beat up your dad".....

We still have two feet of snow yet here and are praying for the possibility of playing outside for the first time in April....

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yep, makes me think you should have a snowman building drill but even that snide comment depressed me too much so I am not going to post it.

We had evaluations and the drafts yesterday for our rec league season got there at 8am and left at 6pm (board members get to help with all divisions; a new high for our league about 170 girls 4-14YO) and I got a sunburn oh the hazards of living in San Antonio....it was only 75 degree but sun was out all day no clouds.

Jan 10, 2013
Maryland
We are a 14u team.

Regardless of temp. Our first tournament is in 4 weeks. There is no gaurntee that it will be 60 and sunny that weekend. In Maryland it is running in the 40's-50's right now. If there is a possibility they are going to play in it, they might as well practice in it. We will only be able to practice on Saturdays for the first few weeks as our facility does not have lights. So we will be doing a 3 hour Saturday practice the first few weeks until we have enough daylight to have evening practices.