homeruns???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I have one player with 7, another with 5, and two others with one each (legit over the fence). We played a tourney last week without fences and high outfield grass - with fences my two best would have hit 2 each, instead they were triples/doubles.:mad:

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
DD was on a good-hitting 14U team last year. They hit about 13-14 homers among 5 girls. (One other girl was capable, but never hit one).

The leader had 5. But that same girl then went a year without one until breaking the drought a couple of weeks ago, leading me to believe that the totals can be affected drastically by fence distance and quality of pitching. Tougher to hit HR vs. movement pitchers who keep it low.

Jun 7, 2013
On my 14U B team we have a girl who's main sport is volleyball. In fact, she missed at least a third of our games due to national volleyball tournaments, etc. In spite of this she has two well over the fence home runs. She trains hard for volleyball and this training carries over into her softball performance. If she wanted to take softball seriously she could really go somewhere. However, the future is probably already very clear. She'll be attending college on a volleyball scholarship.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not sure what you mean by quality pitching but DD can hit it over the fence if the pitcher throws it fast enough. She cannot provide enough of her own power to hit it over against a slower pitcher.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The quality of the pitching faced has a lot to do with the number of home runs hit....

I humbly disagree. We hit most in our ASA qualifiers and showcases. Where the rubber meets the road at 14U is whether or the the player THINKS she can hit a homerun. If she doesn't believe it, she won't.

Aug 24, 2011
Curious to see what the number of homeruns hit by big hitting 14u players are a crossed the country are??

I was at the DeMarini Invite in Chicago last week and the Beverly Bandits had two 14U teams playing against some of the best 16U and 18U teams in the country. There were very few home runs (I'd guess fewer than five between the two teams in 15+ games), of course these kids were facing pitchers that were nearly all going to power conferences.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I humbly disagree. We hit most in our ASA qualifiers and showcases. Where the rubber meets the road at 14U is whether or the the player THINKS she can hit a homerun. If she doesn't believe it, she won't.

I do not know how ASA qualifiers work in your area of the country, but in GA there will be 40+ teams, and maybe 6 of them are true A-teams. Every coach who published "We will play an A-schedule" during tryouts will be there. Showcases have become watered down as organizers added teams (at $1000 each) as fast as they can, and most showcases are not "play to win" tournaments. Also, the best 14U teams in GA are all playing 16U until Nationals.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd