homerun taken away by outfielder whom then falls over fence. Runners tag up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
What is the official ruling with runners on second and third, with no outs or only one out. The batter hits a ball that will carry over the fence in center field. Center fielder catches ball air born and falls over the fence robbing the batter of a home run. Both runners tag and advance one base as outfielder throws the ball towards third base from the other side of the fence. My question on the rule is after the outfielder fields the ball and is on the other side of the fence, does it become a dead ball and runners should be awarded two bases similar to a ground rule double? In the instance I am talking about it was played it as the ball was still live and runners could advance at their own risk with chance of being thrown out. But I don't know if that was right or not.
Thanks

Jun 22, 2008
Catch and unintentional carry into dead ball territory is a dead ball and 1 base award.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
What is the official ruling with runners on second and third, with no outs or only one out. The batter hits a ball that will carry over the fence in center field. Center fielder catches ball air born and falls over the fence robbing the batter of a home run. Both runners tag and advance one base as outfielder throws the ball towards third base from the other side of the fence. My question on the rule is after the outfielder fields the ball and is on the other side of the fence, does it become a dead ball and runners should be awarded two bases similar to a ground rule double? In the instance I am talking about it was played it as the ball was still live and runners could advance at their own risk with chance of being thrown out. But I don't know if that was right or not.
Thanks

The bold portion is the only part of the play that has any relevance. Once the fielder contacts DBT, the play is dead, the batter-runner is out, all runners are awarded one base.

The runner are still liable to retouch the base (tag up) prior to advancing to the awarded base. Because the ball is dead, the umpire must give the runners ample opportunity to complete their base running tasks prior to providing a ball and returning the game to a live-ball status. At this time, the defense may verbally request any appeals. When the umpire recognizes the defense is going to make an appeal, s/he should declare "time" and then accept and rule on any proper appeals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi