Hold lead runner or make easy force out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2015
Coach of an 8U all star team. Just want some opinions. With runners on 3rd and/or 2nd do you coach your SS and 3rd base to hold the lead runner or throw across the field to make the force out at 1st?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Too many variables to answer....
What's the score
What inning is it
Where are we in the line up
How many outs are there at this point

Sep 29, 2014
In that scenario get the out.

Obviously if it's the winning run everyone on the field needs to understand the only play is for that out.

Game situation dictates this. If it is a hard hit ball usually have 3B check the runner, if it's a slow roller maybe you don't have time. If it's deep short I don't know if you can even get an out in 8U.

If I have not called for the player to hold the runner at 3B or get the out at home, I expect the run to score and the batter to be out especially at 8U. At other age groups you can start to get a little more intricate but still if as the coach I have not called it you would expect the run to score if you get the out.

Is it even possible to caveat this more....you get the idea the answer is it depends

May 17, 2012
My position at all ages is the same. If it's hit at you, there are options. If it's not hit directly at you, there are no options (get the out at first).

Fastpitch is much quicker game than baseball. In baseball you can hold those runners; in fastpitch you are have roughly 3 seconds to get the batter/runner out.

I see too many fastpitch players looking back or checking the runners and then fail to get the out at first. Teach them while they are young!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We'll say the winning run is not on 2nd or 3rd. 0 or 1 out. Anywhere in the line up.

In 8U all-stars in this situation you get the out. This is the scenario that rapidly turns into the 'big inning' in 8U (and 10U for that matter.. and occasionally 12U & older)

If you can't make up 1 run in 8U, you are not winning anyway.

However - there is a better option:
Roll the dice and you get a FREE out in this scenario:

Practice a fake throw with your SS/3B to first and then have your fielder immediately sprint towards the 3B runner. In 8U you will get the runner almost every time. But you do have to practice this at least a couple of times. We do the fake throw keeping the ball in the glove and fake throw without the ball in their hand. Worst case scenario: You held the runner at 3rd but you gave yourself an excellent chance for an out.

Then SECOND time it happens, because the runner and coach at 3B is all nervous, you take the out at first and have a VERY good chance to get the out at home as the runner gets a late break. I remember we got our first two-throw double play in 10U this way.

We still use this in 14U with success - especially against teams that haven't seen us before.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
This is from a catcher in MLB, but the concept is the same

Watch in particular how the ball never goes to the catcher's throwing hand during the fake. This allows a HARD, STRONG fake throw without worrying about losing grip on the ball. If you put the ball in your hand, the fake throw is often way less convincing.

Also see how the catcher runs immediately towards the runner. That makes the play easier - in 8U you will get a tag without the need of a throw (though SS or 3B should be at 3B for a throw if needed)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG