Hitting the high pitch - Suggestions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
I wanted to thank everyone who responded to this thread. I have found the responses and information provided to be very informative. It is great to be part of this community where even if there are different opinions or methods everyone is willing to share and discuss.

Thanks to everyone.

I am an Epstein Instructor. We teach a slight (maybe 3 degrees) up swing in softball- ie the plane of the swing is slightly "up" to match the flight of the pitch (non riseballs- I'll get to this in a minute) as it crosses the plate. Ask any good college pitcher-- maybe one or two riseballs per game cross the plate as a strike. Best thing to do is notice them, and check the swing. Let em go. A mistake riseball may be a strike. The rest of em are balls. This is why they are hard to hit-- they are balls. We also teach that the hands only need to be as high as the highest strike. We also teach that the hands must stay above the ball. Now, if the hands drop even a few inches from the top of the strike one, the hitter will have a tough time hitting a high strike, because the hands are no longer above the ball. In summary, lay off riseballs, and keep the hands above the ball and you should be able to hit the high strike. I actually think with Epstein's method the high strike is easier to hit then the low strike.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
As a hitter ... you assess the opposing pitcher. For example, if the opposing pitcher rarely throws their riseball for a strike, then you zone the lower half of the strike zone. Good hitters become excellent hitters when they can reduce the zone where they are looking for a strike.

A pitcher that allows an opposing team to reduce their hitting zone isn't doing their job nearly as well as they could be.

A good pitcher knows that hitters will zone out their weaknesses, and they train to deal with the entire strike zone.

Good hitters know that they will be facing good pitchers in the better tournaments, and they practice so as to deal with it.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
FSS knows he has 50 plus on his DVD. We all had a side bet you would post the one drill that you don't like. Same as you did the last time this conversation came up. Must have been a tough cut and paste! Know one has every drill we agree with. The 5 ball drill that gives the kid a visual of the strike zone is what we use. I used it last night with a bunch of Freshman and they understood how it worked and it works great. John has great results, so he must be doing something right!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SBF … this drill of John's was the only hitting drill I could find on Youtube from John’s DVD. Listen to the video ... John states “this is one of the best drills I think we have for developing hitters”.

Obviously it is a terrible drill. Anyone that applies the Hanson Principle knows this.

I view this as a good example of why the Hanson Principle should always be applied … regardless of the source. John is an accomplished coach, but this particular drill that he thought of highly, has significant issues.

Despite the source, people should apply a filter to avoid making steps backward.

The Hanson Principle.
“Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”
-- Mark Hanson

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
imja61.gif

2ut6zw0.gif

2vmy649.gif

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads