hitting power

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Hmmm....may be time to do a little bat shopping after all the expenses of Christmas are caught back up. DD is happy with her current bat, but if a new one shows up, I am sure she would be happy with breaking in another too. I had always heard (apparently wrong) that for smaller girls that a lighter bat was the way to go to increase bat speed. And for the record, the teams that I have been around, I have never heard a coach advocating for any type/brand/size of bat. That is always left up to the parents, unless a girl is swinging a bat that is obviously too big for her.

Jul 17, 2012
Ever see the slo mo video where the ball looks like it imposes more force on the bat than vice versa? It appears that the ball overpowers the bat. The heavier the bat, the more force it imposes on the ball. In my opinion, Drop 12 is for the younger weaker hitters. Older, developed hitters should swing a Drop 10 at the very lightest.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
One of my dd's was perpetually smaller than her age group. Somewhere around 7th or 8th grade she began hitting the ball hard. It was a direct result of tee drills we did at home, a hitting instructor that worked students exclusively on a Jugs machine with Rocketech bats and using a variety of bats and practice bats.

She used to be a considered a bunting threat, now she is considered a power hitter. She is a hs senior. Still not physically imposing. The rocketech's are gone. Lots of good things happened for her, not because she is a speedy center fielder, pretty much all because she can hit.

IMHO, every hitters goal, no matter what their size, has to be to hit hard line drives to the gaps, hopefully against the fence. The rest takes care of itself. Too many kids short change themselves because they or their parents consider them contact hitters or whatever. Ditch that high drop bat now and go to work. Teams are made during the season and players are made in the off season.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Rdbass. My dd is about the same size as yours. What is the model # of the XLT? She swings a 32/22. Would it b advantage to go to the 33/23?
Thanks.

Jan 26, 2015
Il softball fan

The bat your daughter current swings basically is a -10. Eastons are notorious for coming in 1-2 ounces heavier than listed. Check out the bat weight data base over in the equipment forum. Maybe try a cf or xeno if your looking for more pop.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The thing is, “mass” helps a great deal.

Having more mass makes it much easier to swing the bat faster.

A bat swung at the same speed by someone of greater mass is generally someone that is using less effort, and often that can lead to more consistent squaring.

My experience is that better swing mechanics have more to do with consistently producing successful results than the size or mass of the hitter.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
DD seemed to respond well to switching from a lighter bat to a -10. She also started working out with a same-length wood bat and really likes using it (as do the kids on her team.) We're looking at going to either a -9 or an end loaded for X-Mas.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If size didn't matter, the average college softball player would be smaller than she is.

Is size were everything, the average college softball player would be bigger than she is.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1