hit placement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Thanks everyone for the input. Reassurance is a great thing. This concept is nothing new with me but then I've been at it for years. Honestly when my DD (11) started actually swinging at the inside pitch I was one happy mom. Every time she's backed off of that pitch for the last 5 years I tell her "that's the pitch you put in the parking lot". Until the last couple months I've only gotten the yeah right you almost hit me look. She knows that when she makes good solid contact there's a chance the opposing 3rd baseman will end up on her butt, but that's about it. Knowing the possible outcome of 1 specific act does not, in my mind anyway, mean she's capable of placing a hit. For me it's still a bonus that she's swinging at the inside pitch. I remember learning to go with the pitch powerfully my 2nd year 14U- at practice off a tee. And for what it's worth if I hit one to the right side with power it's most likely accidental. Usually my impatient gotta kill it 2nd personality shows up and I end up with a swinging push bunt to the 2nd baseman. To this day this is one of the biggest challenges I as a player face, and truthfully at this point unless I have 2 strikes and am protecting myself I won't even attempt to swing at an outside pitch. It is my weakness!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Too many coaches havent played any ball or were so bad they got laughed out of it...then as they age, they find out they can read "coaching for dummies" books or watch videos and all of a sudden become a coach and get instant authority that they have been needing their whole life even though they have no clue how to actually physically do anything themselves.

...and some coaches who never played baseball/softball are good teachers and good leaders. They put in the effort to educate themselves on the game because it's not about needing authority, but about enjoying helping young players do something they love to the best of their ability. I have yet to see a strong correlation between playing at a high level and being a good coach.

As for hitting, my DD's 10U team has been introduced to the concept of the location of the pitch affecting hitting direction. With the girls hitting off a tee at the plate, we moved the tee across the plate in a diagonal line (inside and out-front to outside and deep), and had them hit to the appropriate field. This isn't something that we expect them to execute at this level, but just a concept to put in their head for the future.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Great coaches are both great leaders and have the ability to teach. A 4 year degree in education or management and drawer full of certifications does not mean you have the ability to do anything. These men and women have skills that transcend their chosen sport. Skills based on life experience that only a very small segment of the population ever demonstrate at a high level. I am sure that Wooden, Lombardi, Candrea, or Enquist would have been exceptional coaches in any sport. While experience playing a particular sport may be interesting and a great footnote, history proves that it is not required for success as knowledge of the game is easily acquired. More often than not previous playing experience is merely a coincidence due in large part to a personal bias.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
...and some coaches who never played baseball/softball are good teachers and good leaders. They put in the effort to educate themselves on the game because it's not about needing authority, but about enjoying helping young players do something they love to the best of their ability. I have yet to see a strong correlation between playing at a high level and being a good coach.

Never said anything about having had to play at a "high" level, actually, I don't think the level means anything...but something is said for at least playing the game, bustin your butt at it, learning to get better and being able to stick it out. To each their own, but I personally would want some of that knowledge and personal experience in a coach.
I also haven't said someone cant be a great coach otherwise.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...but something is said for at least playing the game, bustin your butt at it, learning to get better and being able to stick it out. To each their own, but I personally would want some of that knowledge and personal experience in a coach.

Wouldn't you agree that the traits you describe, borne of personal experience are common to all great coaches? That's said, does it matter if these traits are developed via the game they ultimately coach or by other life experiences so long as those qualities are present?

Apr 22, 2013
I watched 3 youtube videos and visit discussfastpitch "what else would i need"?
I only ask the girls to bunt down 1st or 3rd and we practice that all of the time.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Before the game starts, simply walk out to the right-center gap and put a dime on the ground. Then announce to your team that they are all to hit that dime on the first bounce.

Heck, I'm happy if they can hit solidly.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
The coaches who never played baseball (or stopped at age 10) get laughed at in boys baseball, usually they get run out by 10u.

So, if I were looking (after 10u), I would start with actual players as coaches, and then find good coaches among those players. It is hard to continue justifying coaches the other way around in this day and age. In this case and at that level, however, not much you can do but find another parent coach who may be slightly less clueless.

Some of the worse coaches ive seen have been those who played before... They use it as an excuse for their arrogance and refusal to try anything new or outside of their own experience... Worse their experience is baseball which we all know doesnt directly match to fastpitch softball.... I really dont give a rats arse if the coach got a full ride in baseball or softball to some d1 school.... Can they TEACH and have they the Wisdom to manage and handle kids? That is by far a much better trait than their own abilities as a player.... Their own experience and ability as a player only matters if all other things are equal and should be used as a tie breaker..... Every time ive heard a coach use the " i used to play " card its to try and defend some bonehead move on their part or justify their own insecurity about their abilities... Good coaches never have to pull their pedigree card out

And to the OP: inside left, middle center, outside right is about the only placement coaches should be demanding at that age

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd