Hit or error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
This conversation reminds me of a 12u team I was an assistant coach on that won a tournament outscoring our opponents 71-4. We won the championship game 10-2. The parents of the pitcher of the championship game were mad their daughter was charged two earned runs in the championship game.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Believe me, I know how frustrating it can be - but agree, it is a double. Happened to my dd while pitching in college this year - RF moved to her right (we were missing our regular OF) and if she just stayed where she was should have been an easy catch on a pop fly - scored a hit. Happened twice in the same game. Then a hard line drive to SS was also scored a hit even though it went right into the SS glove at chest level and popped back out (no leaping involved).

I was just happy that they still won the game and dd just shrugged off the plays. Even happens at the college level - just have to learn to let it go.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
You've clearly never met my DD. She can find the dark cloud in any silver lining.
... and you see, I clearly don't know much. I hope that at some point, I will get the opportunity to see you dd play. Hope all is going well.

Dec 15, 2021
I've totally decided already. As far as I'm concerned, it's an error, whether physical or mental is irrelevant. The CF ran in after the inning and went right up to my daughter and said, "That was my mistake. That one's on me, not you. I should've had that ball."

The problem is scorekeeping is so subjective. The example I posted above was from a MLB game in which the official scorer ruled a ball that dropped in as an error to protect a no-hitter. He ruled the player should've made the play easily. In the end, a clean single happened with two outs in the ninth, so it was rendered moot.
So, if your daughter was the batter, do you want the double, or should she take the error? Skill level, eye sight, wind, sun, etc. all affect every play in softball. But again, you can have your opinion, but the softball rule book says its a hit.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
I’m guessing the kids don’t even care about gamechanger. it’s largely parent’s ego.
DD recently looked at the stats from GC on herself. She was like - what does this thing mean. I'm sure there are players who prob do actually know that stuff - but I'm okay if my kid doesn't. She just knows if she gets on base. Half the time it's the coaches who give them stats to post about. In HS they don't even see their stats until EOS.
I do find it funny that she always says some of the other players are way better than her but when you see their stats it's not always the case. They are just louder about when things do happen.

Oct 14, 2019
DD recently looked at the stats from GC on herself. She was like - what does this thing mean. I'm sure there are players who prob do actually know that stuff - but I'm okay if my kid doesn't. She just knows if she gets on base. Half the time it's the coaches who give them stats to post about. In HS they don't even see their stats until EOS.
I do find it funny that she always says some of the other players are way better than her but when you see their stats it's not always the case. They are just louder about when things do happen.
DD knows as a P when she wins or loses or gives up runs. She knows when the defense isn’t helping her much. Earned runs is not something she pays attention to.

Jun 8, 2016
I don't pay the extra $ to see the GC stats so unless somebody else is telling her, my kid has no way of knowing her stats.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207