Hillhouse on gaining speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
Not specifically, but Bill teaches the mechanics that will help your pitcher throw faster.

Dec 27, 2011
Been using his style of pitching to teach her. She has been complimented on her mechanics by alot of people, she just turned 15, good movement and location; pitches 51 to 56 in a game depending on what pitch she's throwing can hit 58 in the gym.Would like to get her over 60 seems thats the magical # for D1-D2 pitchers. Looking for drills that would help.

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Sparky, explain "run through drills" please.

Some call them "walk throughs" as well. The pitcher starts 2 - 3 steps behind the rubber then walking while doing the pitching motion so that when her push off foot hits the rubber she launches into the pitching motion with forward momentum and throws. She continues the momentum after the pitch leaves her hand then stops herself. It takes a little getting used to but is a good drill to get timing and legs into the pitch. Legs+upper body = speed.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I know walk throughs. The "run throughs" idea had me puzzled. I think in some respects the walk throughs are overrated. The pitcher does these and then gets them out of sinc with their regular motion. Why practice something that you don't normally do?

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
My daughter enjoys run-thru's. After walk thru's she'll do these trying to get get her feet going as fast as possible. Everything else has to follow suit for the throw to be on. I think their use is to get the motion working quicker.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
CoachFP,
Walk-throughs are great for warm ups. They promote good form, staying loose/fluid and are fun. Have you tried them yourself?

Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan