Highest of highs and lowest of lows ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Cuz, my man, you worry too much.

a) Make sure she understands how to determine the umpire's strike zone. She has to actively determine the strike zone. At the end of the first inning, ask her to draw the strike zone for you. Have her tell you what the strike zone...don't tell her what it is, get her to do it for you.

b) Look at the game unemotionally. Look at the specifics. Which batter? Which pitch? Where did her pitching go down the tubes?

What you'll probably find is one mistake which led to the disaster. Young pitchers don't "let it go" when they make a mistake. They dwell on it, and that mistake affects their performance. (This is going to sound stupid, and it is...but have her sing "Let it Go" from Frozen when she makes a mistake. Stupid, stupid, stupid...but it works.)

The reality is that she is going to mistakes during the game. No matter how good she is, she will make mistakes. It is dealing with those mistakes that separates the good pitchers from the mediocre ones.

My DD threw the ball away in the 7th inning of a big game once. She got really upset about it and ended up losing the game. But, if you watched the game, it wasn't that mistake that lost the game...it was how that mistake affected her pitching for the remainder of the game.

My wife taught with a former MLB pitcher. He was a journeyman pitcher, but did win a world series game. I asked him to talk to her about how to handle the situation.

He said, "I've been there before. You have to forget it. When you pitch, all there is is the ball and the catcher's mitt. Nothing else exists."

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
Anyone else feel like they are on a pitching journey roller coaster? :confused:

It seems like this spring (HS freshman) and past fall (playing up in 16U) DD is either on fire or under water. In the past DD would have ups and downs, but not of this magnitude.

Just this past week she was pulled in the fourth inning of one game. The next game she turns around and pitches a 3 inning run rule shut out win facing 9 batters with 32 pitches and 6K's. Both games were against similar teams. Two different kids?!

I really think the talent and ability are there, but that dang space between her ears gets in the way. I already don't have much hair left, but what I do have is about to turn grey!

Taking suggestions on what to do/tell her to help out.

First suggestion would be to try not to let the stress get to you because she'll have good and bad days all through HS and into college. She'll learn to keep it from happening as often, but the bad days will never go away. Just tell her you love and support her and ask her coaches to work on the mental game with her.

Jun 12, 2015
Cuz, my man, you worry too much.

What you'll probably find is one mistake which led to the disaster. Young pitchers don't "let it go" when they make a mistake. They dwell on it, and that mistake affects their performance. (This is going to sound stupid, and it is...but have her sing "Let it Go" from Frozen when she makes a mistake. Stupid, stupid, stupid...but it works.)

I love this idea! I want to make my older daughter's baseball team do this. All boys but her. Think they'd go for it? HAHAHA The boys seem to have an even harder time letting go after mistakes. Hers is a rec team, but we played in our first tournament this weekend. One error would then snowball into them looking the Bad News Bears. Let it goooo, let it gooooooooooooooo

Nov 29, 2009
My confusion especially the last game came more from not being able to find the zone and hitting 2 batters. Very uncharacteristic of her. Then the insult to injury is the free passes score more often than not.

It's usually a 6" problem. The 6" between the ears. It does get better as they get older.

Then on the other hand she can have a great outing and not get any support from her teammates. DD once thew a game in college where she had 17 K's 0 BB's and gave up two hits. No errors by her teammates. One hit was a seeing-eye single and the other was a dinger. Lost the game 1-0. Her teammate could not score a run to save their lives even while getting 8 hits in the game.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I used to get all bunged up when my DD did not pitch well, but after watching a lot of college softball and seeing some of the best pitchers in the country have bad days, walk leadoff batters, and get behind on hitters, and give up home runs, I decided that my expectations were too high....

May 10, 2012
Tennessee
I just stumbled across this thread and I can relate....I can really relate :) The great thing about this site is that it serves as a reminder that we are not alone on this beautiful softball journey. Time to go throw, maybe...depends on how she feels today :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1