High School Schedule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Hey,future "not" boyfriend of DD want to see my gun collection.DD new school used to be single sex school.Now is coed.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD's freshman year of HS was particularly brutal. She played School VB at the same time as TB Softball in fall, then BB in winter, then HS Softball in spring before going to TB Softball in summer. There were no study hall requirements, you're lucky your school has it.

She is now a senior and still does everything except for VB, it was just too much to play 2 sports at the same time and keep up her grades.

I think being a multi-sport athlete in HS is a great preperation for being a student athlete in college. They learn how to manage time before they get to college.

Oh, good luck with her being too busy for boys :)

Your daughters coach is good in that she has a study hall/homework before practice and she should focus on volleyball during that season!Maybe she could do tee work and dry swings when SHE wants.Some coaches just let the girls hang out at school till their practice and that is trouble brewing.Retired H.S coach S.Sanchez.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Our HS started "softball class" last year, though I don't know the administrative side, it really works well. It's the last class of the day, so during dead seasons they can use it as a study hall or they can watch videos and work on plays ( written ). Then during conditioning and open season practice they get an hour head start, by starting when the "class" starts as oppose to waiting until school is out.

Also youre pretty much guaranteed a 100/A all year, which helps on GPA. :)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My DD#3 played 3 sports and lettered in 4 throughout HS.

First, there can be only one primary sport. Your DD must decide which sport she loves the most, and work on that one.

Second, you have to become very efficient. You don't want to waste time driving or getting the equipment ready. So, you should get a practice area and the necessary equipment pre-arranged.

My DD's normal schedule:

She would get home around 6 PM from practice. So, then we would immediately go to the gym to shoot hoops (she was a basketball player). We had a specific routine she would go through first. If she had time, we might do something extra. Then she would eat, and do her homework. We had a house rule that there was no TV for anyone (including parents) after 8PM. Friday's after practice were her free time. On weekends, we would practice one hour on Saturday, if she were available. We would do two hours on Sunday.

With games from the other sports (tennis, softball, track), it was pretty crazy.

You aren't going to be able to do it every night, but if you can do it 3 or 4 nights a week, you'll see a lot of improvement.

Our HS started "softball class" last year, though I don't know the administrative side, it really works well..

Why bother teaching math or English when they can learn "softball plays". Absolutely ridiculous.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Why bother teaching math or English when they can learn "softball plays". Absolutely ridiculous.

It's really a good adaption from top HS's with similar "class" for baseball or football. It's just an elective, so instead of taking art, metal work, Cosmetology, study hall, etc...............you have a softball class. For music lovers there is band or music class electives, for theater lovers there is performing arts or acting class. What about athletes, shouldn't they have a class for something most do for many months out of the year? ( inside and outside of school )

Lots of the girls use it during the off season to do their homework and work on papers or projects. We don't have this problem so much in softball, but the other sports "classes" also use it for tutoring those in need with required coarses.

Last year was our first year, parents/players/coaches all gave positive feedback on how much good came out of adding the coarse.

The school board was skeptical at first to pass it, I think they used model schools in Florida for their research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877