high school fall sport interferes with fall showcases

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
What many people forget is the fact that a large number of schools have preferred and regular walk-ons. If the student athlete walks on, either preferred or otherwise and the coach decides that they want them, then the coach has the option to throw a little bit of extra money their way without it counting against their Athletic Scholarship moneys. Whether it counts against it the following year, I don't have the foggiest. But I was told this by several D1 and D2 coaches that want DD.

Nov 18, 2013
What many people forget is the fact that a large number of schools have preferred and regular walk-ons. If the student athlete walks on, either preferred or otherwise and the coach decides that they want them, then the coach has the option to throw a little bit of extra money their way without it counting against their Athletic Scholarship moneys. Whether it counts against it the following year, I don't have the foggiest. But I was told this by several D1 and D2 coaches that want DD.

That doesn't sound right at all. I won't claim to be an expert, but I've researched what's permitted and I've never heard of anything remotely close to that.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The absence of athletic scholarships and the NLI/commitment process in D3 is some ways can be considered a blessing, particularly at those schools that have endowments sufficient to meet demonstrated financial need.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
If you look at it purely from the scholarship perspective, there are definitely some advantages to starting early. I think it is great if a kid knows in 9th grade that they want to be a division one softball player. Other kids don't know. Why would you miss your field hockey competition for a showcase? Sure there is a possibility that your kid could be "discovered" at this showcase but I personally want my kids to have balance. My daughter did not attend camp at her dream school this summer because it conflicted with her attendance at American Legion Girls State. She still ended up committing to that school and it is possible that she lost some money. We will never know. I do know that there is more to life than softball and the week she spent learning about leadership and state and local government was a great experience for her. She learned a great deal, met some wonderful girls from around the state, and had a great experience that she will always remember.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
That doesn't sound right at all. I won't claim to be an expert, but I've researched what's permitted and I've never heard of anything remotely close to that.

They do it through various scholarships like the "Good Citizen Scholarship" and others. It's no different than the extra monies some D3s will come up with if they really want a particular player.

Feb 15, 2016
This is half right in that it has been twisted to sound as though softball coaches actively seek out multi-sport athletes. The truth is that they recruit kids with strong softball skills and some level of athletic ability. One of the traits of an athlete is that they may be involved in multiple sports. But to state that coaches actively seek out multi-sport athletes is disingenuous. If you can add value to their program they could care less how you got to that point. But to suggest that softball coaches like to recruit multi-sport athletes is akin to saying basketball coaches like tall kids. Plenty of tall kids are terrible at hoops. Playing multiple sports does not mean you can do anything between the lines.

If you have the goods and contribute value to a program you will get recruited. All the other stuff is just a nice back story. When my DD was recruited all they cared about was what she could do in the circle. They did not know that from age 12 she only played softball, she skipped playing HS ball her Freshman year because the coaching was awful, and that she played for a small TB team. They only found out when she filled out her bio sheet for the media guide.

I think this is great conversation. I also think that there needs to be separation between pitchers and other players when talking recruiting. Pitchers are a different animal and most likely have had to be much more focused on softball. For the other players, I believe that being a multi-sport athlete is a plus for many college coaches. I have been to many camps and clinics and have talked to a lot of coaches. I am by no means an expert. However, with many coaches, I know that being a multi-sport athlete is a factor like grades or ACT score that figures into the overall equation when evaluating a potential recruit. Just like the tie-breaker would go to the 27 ACT over the 21 ACT, I have heard coaches mention that they factor in whether or not a player is a multi-sport athlete. I heard one P5 coach specifically state that they look at multi-sport athletes a little but differently. This coach stated that if a player is a really good athlete and a good softball player but has never played on a top travel team or been able to benefit from the best coaching they understand that the player will be a little bit raw and may take a little more work once that player gets into the program. I think we all want to make this a science and some coaches treat recruiting like a science. Others view it as part art and part science and look at more than purely ability. Potential and athletic ability are factors. A coach who is confident in their ability to coach may look at it differently. Once you get outside the top 10-15 programs, coaches have to be a little bit more creative to find that diamond in the rough. There are plenty of them out there who did not take the "recommended" road to play softball at the D1 level.

Jun 17, 2014
This is me and Riseball having this same conversation last year. He was right and I was....incorrect. I bought the theory that College coaches wanted well rounded....they want kids that stroke the ball and stand out at their camp. IF your DD can play FH and stand out in camp and I'm not talking top ten but top 2 or 3. There is nothing wrong with playing multiple sports and playing further at the level you drop in at but if D1 is the goal that would be my focus. DD is a 2017 so this is all fresh in my mind.

Thanks. I'd love to know how things have turned out with your DD - does she know yet where she's going?

I don't think FH has taken away from my DDs softball development. She is a well-rounded athlete and does very well in both sports. DD and I talked about this yesterday and I found out that in fact the schedule for playoffs is already posted - her team expects a bye first round and according to my daughter they will play a team that should not be too tough during the second round. She seems to be inclined to miss the preceding weekend practice to make sure she can attend the D9 showcase - even if it means she sits during that playoff round. She's thinking about it and how to handle it with her coach. We also talked more about getting on the ball with her 'list of schools' and contacting them like crazy.

Jun 17, 2014

I'm curious- how does the 'walk on' conversation get started...does the coach initiate it because they are interested in a player but find them after they have already tied up all athletic money?

Nov 18, 2013
They do it through various scholarships like the "Good Citizen Scholarship" and others. It's no different than the extra monies some D3s will come up with if they really want a particular player.

Those scholarships are available to the entire student population. Its an NCAA violation if coaches have influence over money above and beyond their allotted scholarships. Does it happen? Sure, but you're not going to have several schools advertising it to potential recruits. If they want the girl they're going to come up with legit money for them.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Thanks. I'd love to know how things have turned out with your DD - does she know yet where she's going?

No she doesn't know and it's driving me nuts. We should probably know by end of October at which time I will tell everyone in my opus.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez