High School Ball Drama

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2014
My dd has had surprisingly good school ball experiences. Last year as a freshman, she made varsity on a team that hadn't had a winning season in many years. Four travel ball freshman came in and helped lead the team to a winning season, almost making the playoffs. The girls from all ages got along, had a ton of fun, and from my daughter's perspective, there wasn't a lot of pressure since the expectations were low. Every win was like winning the world series. We moved over the summer (same town, new school). She now plays for a school with a ton of talent. She made varsity, but it wasn't a given, and she is having a blast with the girls. While we were all worried that they wouldn't accept her, the opposite is true. She said that she is working harder because her starting spot isn't guaranteed. I'm so thankful that it is working out due to all of the "school ball" horror stories out there! (and yes, teenage girls can be SO catty!)

Don't say "surprisingly good experiences." Its supposed to be a good experience. Its youth sports!! Too many kids and parents treat HS ball like its the final comparison against all the kids and parents that you've moved up throught the leagues with. High school sports is no more important than that 10U Saturday morning house league. Just enjoy it and tell your kids to battle through the drama.

Nov 8, 2014
That was a fun 6 pages of reading. I think most of you all take softball too seriously. Most coaches are pretty weak. Give em some slack. They don't have an eye for talent or a knack for explaining the sport to kids. Y'all give em to much credit. Just make sure you and your kid enjoy softball now while they are involved. Its gonna be over before you know it. Have fun, make the most of it and don't sweat the details.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Might be time to update your resume! ;)

I am only speaking about my customers. He he.

In all seriousness. I don't judge you or any parent that chooses to home school. Great for you and your family. There are many circumstances in which home schooling is THE best solution. Sometimes I think about home schooling my DD2. Public/Private School is a microcosm of our society. You will find bullying, cattiness and peer pressure in your everyday lives, but less overt than you will find in your younger years.

My DD1 goes to a high school where she is a racial minority with a very high percentage of disadvantaged school mates. 79% Hispanic and 11% White and various other races comprise the remainder. She surrounds herself with really good kids.(The smarties, the jocks, the well adjusted) Her class rank came out recently. She's tied for #1 out of 633 kids. I will have to say that I have cultivated her path by her participating in all seasonal sports, set high academic expectations, member of PTA, member/coach/commissioner of the softball board/booster club. I say all of this to say that she is a confident young lady that is prepared to handle being the odd one out since she is an outlyer at her school but has a wonderful group of ethnically diverse friends. Has she been bullied? Sure! I hear about the cattiness, but she stays out of the drama and peer pressure will always exist. The only thing I am dreading now....is the boyfriend thing. I am just glad that she has a ball exit speed of 61 MPH.

Sorry for the ramble. Keep up the great work at home and on the fields! We are all each other's cheerleaders.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Sadly, not all coaches are fair or reasonable. But I think most are.

HS coaches want to win, but they have to perform a balancing act between playing to win, team chemistry, and player personalities. Unlike TB a HS coach cannot recruit new players if someone quits.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
HS coaches want to win, but they have to perform a balancing act between playing to win, team chemistry, and player personalities. Unlike TB a HS coach cannot recruit new players if someone quits.

This is so true about the balancing act. HS coaches do want to win and ours is having to work that delicate act with the 2 remaining seniors on the squad. Our HS has been down for about 4-5 years with a new "coach" every year, until the current one stepped in and has brought stability to the team last year (young ex-player whose dad was a coach). She is trying hard to turn the program around. She is starting 5 freshmen and 3 sophs which are not social players, and the 3 seniors are more social type (now 1 quit after the first game of the season). 1 senior is a starter but my not soon when another soph heals from an injury, but the coach always gets them into the game. I feel for the girl who quit, but the coach did make it a point that she wants to win, regardless of grade. DD is one of the freshmen, so this "drama" is new to me.

Dec 28, 2011
Don't say "surprisingly good experiences." Its supposed to be a good experience. Its youth sports!! Too many kids and parents treat HS ball like its the final comparison against all the kids and parents that you've moved up throught the leagues with. High school sports is no more important than that 10U Saturday morning house league. Just enjoy it and tell your kids to battle through the drama.

After hearing and reading people's HS ball experiences, yes, I am a little surprised that all is going smooth and my DD is really enjoying it. Partly because of her personality - she is a bit anti-social, and holds a grudge if she thinks someone doesn't like her (typical teenage behavior, maybe?). So I guess I was thinking that if things got off to a rocky start, it would go downhill from there. We never expressed any of this to her and have stayed positive throughout the process. She has made some great friends and they do a lot of team bonding get-togethers off the field! I can see her maturing each day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd