High School Ball Drama

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Sorry if we hijacked the thread. There are a LOT of reasons to play softball, and the reasons are different for each girl. DD 1 hung up her cleats almost 3 years ago, and I do miss watching her play. I think people whose DDs have hung up their cleats might forgive me.

Back to the original point -- fear of competition may have something to do with nastiness, and the girls who are just playing for fun might be less threatening.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A friend of hers on the team came to her and told her that she had overheard it but didn't provide names.

Is her friend's name Simone by any chance?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y-SieCU11r4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dec 28, 2011
My dd has had surprisingly good school ball experiences. Last year as a freshman, she made varsity on a team that hadn't had a winning season in many years. Four travel ball freshman came in and helped lead the team to a winning season, almost making the playoffs. The girls from all ages got along, had a ton of fun, and from my daughter's perspective, there wasn't a lot of pressure since the expectations were low. Every win was like winning the world series. We moved over the summer (same town, new school). She now plays for a school with a ton of talent. She made varsity, but it wasn't a given, and she is having a blast with the girls. While we were all worried that they wouldn't accept her, the opposite is true. She said that she is working harder because her starting spot isn't guaranteed. I'm so thankful that it is working out due to all of the "school ball" horror stories out there! (and yes, teenage girls can be SO catty!)

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
DD1 is a HS senior this year. In her early TB years she was not included by some of her teammates. She wanted no part of a clique. Now DD1 hangs out with some of the younger girls on the team this year because they are good kids and she wants to set an example for them.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
But I'm wondering if the drama is going to be like this for the next 4 years or does it subside? We don't have these issues in TB with players only parents LOL.

HS will always have cliques with or without softball, and there is a big difference in maturity level of a 14 year old freshman and an 18 year old senior.

Aug 8, 2010
My DD moves to HS next fall and it should be interesting. She didn't want to play Middle School ball until the 8th grade, instead just playing TB. Once she got there, the other girls where kinda shocked at the level of her play. All of the other girls had just played Rec through the years and it showed in skills and knowledge of the game. Her teammates actually looked up to her and were happy she had decided to play for the school. Going forward into her Freshman year this may be a different animal. Politics aside, she should start, along with another Freshman that is also on our TB team. Should be interesting to see how they are greeted by the upperclassmen.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
True, but teenage girls are a special kind of catty. Having been one, I feel like I can say that. Homeschooled kids learn life skills just fine, FYI. They don't have to be in a building surrounded by kids their age all day to do that. The circumstances of school are never again replicated in life.

My DW's experience in the world of corporate cube-farms doesn't agree with your statement. It's quite alarming how often she shares stories of grown-rear adults behaving like high school kids.

Jun 12, 2015
If they don't have to raise their hands and ask to go pee, they're better off than in high school ;)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If they don't have to raise their hands and ask to go pee, they're better off than in high school ;)

A few of them should be made to raise their hand and get permission, AND be given a time they are required to be back. They simply aren't ready for the freedoms most well-adjusted adults can handle responsibly.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
How bad have your experiences been?

My DD is on day 3 of practice and already girls that she's never been friends with are talking about her and how she's rude and cocky. Those are two things my DD is not. Yes I know I'm not with her 24/7 but I've never witnessed her be rude and she tends to make friends everywhere. As for being cocky, most people say that when they don't share your level of confidence.

But I'm wondering if the drama is going to be like this for the next 4 years or does it subside? We don't have these issues in TB with players only parents LOL.

I got bad news for you. If you think this is drama worth talking about. It will never go away. And if you think this is drama. Well you might want to consider how you deal with it and see if you might be contributing to the drama.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd