Help with my 10yr old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks for all the feedback. http://youtu.be/JyxjSqlUeKg Here is another video that is of better quality. Thanks again!

I see a strong and athletic girl!

The issue that jumps out at me first is a DBSF (Drop the Barrel and Swing Flat) swing pattern. She is lowering her hands and leveling the barrel behind her shoulder as she is reading the pitch, before she launches the swing. This faulty leveling process is a time-waster, and is likely a big contributor to her challenges with fast pitching. This issue typically arises from the belief that the bat should be swung level to the ground, and may have been encouraged by coaches saying "swing level".

What we see with good swings is the hands staying near the rear shoulder while loading and reading location, and launching the bat on a diagonal plane to contact. The lower the pitch, the steeper the angle of the swing plane. Except in the case of a swing at a shoulder-level pitch, the hands will be above the ball at contact.
Miggy_frontlow.gif

In the case of a DBSF swing pattern, we see the hands drop and then swing the bat forward. This is a lot of excess hand travel. In a proper swing pattern, the hands will travel in a fairly straight line from the rear shoulder to contact, turning the barrel to the ball (hands are the center of the bat's rotation).
Cabrera_hands_side.gif

May 6, 2014
It's a typical sized batting cage. She was at the front where the plate is, it was in the back of the cage. 35ish feet? Something like that.

With no personal disrespect to your daughter, I find it hard to believe that she doesn't already have a full ride scholarship offer at 10YO if she is crushing a 60-65mph pitch from 35 feet.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
With no personal disrespect to your daughter, I find it hard to believe that she doesn't already have a full ride scholarship offer at 10YO if she is crushing a 60-65mph pitch from 35 feet.

What colleges are handing out scholarships to 10yos? :eek:

More likely, it was a little further than 35 feet. ;)

May 6, 2014
What colleges are handing out scholarships to 10yos? :eek:

More likely, it was a little further than 35 feet. ;)

In softball, I've learned nothing is out of the realm of possibility. I was talking to a lower tier D1 coach a few weeks back who told me that she was following an '05 pitcher. Even if the machine was set up at 43 feet, if the young lady is able to crush 60-65 mph balls at 10YO, then you've got a stud on your hands.

Jun 12, 2015
It may have been farther, I didn't measure. It's just a regular batting cage. Might have been as long as 45 feet. Objectively speaking, she's kind of a stud. At least judging by the number of coaches trying to win us over. I used to think I was probably just biased but apparently not.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In softball, I've learned nothing is out of the realm of possibility. I was talking to a lower tier D1 coach a few weeks back who told me that she was following an '05 pitcher. Even if the machine was set up at 43 feet, if the young lady is able to crush 60-65 mph balls at 10YO, then you've got a stud on your hands.

50mph from 35' is less reaction time than 65mph from 43'.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
35ft*(1mile/5280ft)*(3600sec/hr)/(50miles/hr) = 0.477273secs

43ft*(1mile/5280ft)*(3600sec/hr)/(65miles/hr) = 0.451049secs

Crap. I had a feeling something was wonky in my math. 60mph from 43' is a longer reaction time than 50mph at 35', however.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06