Help with field maintenance please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
As 7th grade FP coach, I and my 8th grade counterpart are responsible for field upkeep at our school. I've never had this responsibility, and I find that I quite enjoy it. That said, it needs a lot of TLC at the moment. Most importantly, the metal tube that holds 1B in place has pulled out of the ground. I tried to rebury it, but as soon as I pull the bag the anchor pulls up with it. I need a solution for keeping the anchor in place, as we have our final home games this week, and I don't want any problems with the bag.

The anchor is a metal tube with a couple of metal "wings" at the bottom, I assume to help hold it down (though it's a poor design).

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Well, apparently they're supposed to be anchored in concrete. They are not. Not sure I can fix it, don't really have the time to let the concrete set this week.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Not sure I can fix it, don't really have the time to let the concrete set this week.

It doesn't need that long. In fact, some of those products don't even need mixing. Just pour them into the hole dry and they will draw enough moisture from the ground to set up. Talk to somebody at your local HD.

Jan 24, 2009
Well, apparently they're supposed to be anchored in concrete. They are not. Not sure I can fix it, don't really have the time to let the concrete set this week.

A bag of Quickrete would go a long way. Take a $5 bill to home depot and grab an 80# bag.

Dig an oversize hole with posthole digger, going plenty deeper than the steel anchor. (Measure/square diamond dimensions thrice like any good Dutchman) and fill with the dry quickrete mix right out of the bag. No water. You aren't mixing concrete here. Set the anchor in situ and backfill with a nice depth of dirt over the powdery quickrete . Tamp/level and dress the top. Measure again and mulligan as necessary.

The dry quickrete will pull enough moisture out of the ground to set. You can help it along by lightly hosing the area and surrounds...lightly...to speed up the process. Covering overnight with a tarp or some vapor barrier might be overkill, but if you have one handy...

May 8, 2012
NJ
I would do the quikrete too...its pretty fast stuff. The bonus you have is its 1st base...its not taking the sliding abuse as 2nd or 3rd. I think ypu would be good to go in a day...that stuff sets pretty quick. I personally would hit it with a little water though to give it a leg up. It will be set in a day

Jan 22, 2014
I set the anchor in cement in an empty plastic coffee can. Then bury the can.
I also have similar anchors set 4 inches below the ground without cement. When they loosen up, I pound them back down with a 4x4 block and a large hammer.

If all you have is 60ft, your lucky. Set the anchor in a coffee can with cement and call it good.

I have 12 fields to maintain. Most are multi-purpose set at 45 and 60 for softball - or 55, 65, 75, 90 for baseball. Then we have fields set at 45 and 50 for rookie T-ball and coach/machine pitch. Some days I'm at it for 6+ hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom