Help with drag foot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The problem is not the drag foot. She is forcing her hip to open instead of letting it happen naturally. If you force the hips open you cannot keep the drag foot down. If you look at her from behind I would expect she has nothing close to BI. Get her to throw with proper BI and the foot will take care of itself.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
The problem is not the drag foot. She is forcing her hip to open instead of letting it happen naturally. If you force the hips open you cannot keep the drag foot down. If you look at her from behind I would expect she has nothing close to BI. Get her to throw with proper BI and the foot will take care of itself.

Good point….

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-mtTuM4NnIg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If you watch most any kid that leaps you find they force the rear hip open and have no BI. They have learned to force the hip open to create a path for the ball. Pitching gurus like Rick, Java, etc. are all about letting the body do what it wants to and harnessing the resulting energy. When you start mucking with the natural physical motion of the human body you open a Pandora's box of evil. :)

Apr 22, 2016
Texas
So if I am understanding this right, there is no conscious effort to open or close the hips. Just let them do what they naturally want to do when utilizing proper drive mechanics! Why do I keep making it so difficult then!!!;)

Nov 29, 2009
Two things that I have found that helps a pitcher with leaping is the stork drill. I also tell them to visualize their body is a revolving door with their spine as the center of the door. I helps them to get open quicker. Often their mindset is to swing their body on their pivot leg hip like a hinged door. As they are swinging the striding side of their body they pull the other hip with them causing the drive foot to become airborne.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd