Help with DD U Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 17, 2015
I like the front foot at 45 degrees...but not a must...I do a drill with my players to stand with both feet point toward the plate and try to rotate hips. Then plant the foot closest to pitcher at 45 degrees and rotate. You can tell a big difference in the ability to rotate the hips with 45 degree vs.90 degree. Your right my player in this pic isn't exactly at 45 degrees but is getting good rotation (she can hit!). The back foot is a result of hip rotation. I don't teach rotation/spin on foot, squish the bug or anything, I just tell the girls if you rotate your hips that back foot will naturally rotate. Just like a dipping back shoulder....I tell the girls that whatever your front shoulder does the back will follow....so focus on keeping the front shoulder level and not raising and the back shoulder will follow.

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
offhand, first couple of things that stick out are the front leg bent and head not on the ball. Wrists rolling versus swinging through the ball. At point of contact, player should be in this position as shown in several other posts (look at waist down and waist up). If arms are in this position at point of contact then this is where they come into play in the swing with extending through the ball for extra power. Load, hips/hands, extend/finish. She is 10 so there is time. If you look for a hitting coach find someone who is a teacher - who helps them understand why they are doing what the coach is asking them to do! E.g. Put front foot at 45 degree angle for balance and to allow the hips to rotate fully.
View attachment 8759
what the hell are you refering too?

Aug 17, 2015
My apologies....new to doing replies on the forum. Thanks Eric F. for seeing my shortcoming and doing some "coaching" - much appreciated! These were all in response to the following post, so guessing that person may not see my replies. As I tell my teams..."It's not about the mistake, it's about the recovery!"

First of all, thanks for those who have already replied privately before I had posting privileges. (I just joined)
I have a great deal to learn from the responses I have received privately.
I really like the idea of posting some videos and then getting feedback and posting more, etc. etc., etc. What a great idea! Thanks in advance for anyone and everyone who is willing to assist me here.

Here's the background. 10 U player will be 11 in July. Just started to really express an interest in learning and getting better at the end of last season. She is dedicated to learrn, and I am dedicated to teach her. We have a lot to learn. I will be evaluting all advice and trying real hard. Here is the video sequence, first a link to the first game of the season which she had a hit but clearly shows hand drop and an arm swing.

https://vimeo.com/41380776

This was weeks ago. I have identified the hand drop which led me to this forum. We practiced hitting with a tee aligned with the back foot to keep the hands from dropping. Sure enough they dropped several times, before she adjusted. Then we hit off of a tee in the garage. yesterday was a rainy mess. So here are the rest of the videos from yesterday. I am willing to take all advice and post new videos for anyone who responds and is willing to take part in this. Thanks a million!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My apologies....new to doing replies on the forum. Thanks Eric F. for seeing my shortcoming and doing some "coaching" - much appreciated! These were all in response to the following post, so guessing that person may not see my replies. As I tell my teams..."It's not about the mistake, it's about the recovery!"

Another little bit of advice...Your comment was on a post that is 3 years old, and at the beginning of a 28 page thread. In this situation, it's usually worthwhile to see what has developed towards the end of the thread.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors