Help with DD U Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

How far away are you from her? Looks like a really good adjustment off a really low pitch at close range - I wouldn't get worked up over "positions" - keep pitching to her. She looks good in these last swings.

How about a ball just above the knees. Get a low tee and film her hitting some at that height.
That will make her have bat angle and tilt at the waist.

Elbow above hands...hands above barrel

I like her bat speed:D

Thanks SL. We will do that next time. In the meantime, here was a REAL low one from front pitching. This was a couple of days ago. Some form broke down a bit but she hit it hard.

May 22, 2012
thanks ray, yes I am very close to her, the wall on the right is the same distance away as the wall on the left.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Overall a good looking swing. The one thing I notice, still, is that the hips start, but then get overtaken by the shoulders and hands. See if you can get her to keep the hips moving ahead of the shoulders and hands all the way into the swing. The sequence should have the hips getting squared up to the pitcher, then the shoulders coming through, then the hands finishing the swing. Right now it's like she starts the hips but still puts the emphasis on the shoulders.

I think it was FFS who had the train analogy -- the hips are the train, and the shoulders and hands jump on the train as it's moving. That's a great description. Make sure the train gets to the destination.

Feb 4, 2013
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been lurking on this thread for a while now, absorbing and applying the info as best I can. I apologize for a slight hijacking of the OP's thread.

My DD is in 10U and has been a fair hitter at best. I so wanted to help her but I was ignorant of the process. My daughter has tried for 2 years to be a strong offensive player, frequently requesting batting cage time, going to every single hitting practice without fail, every single hitting clinic, hitting off the tee, coach pitch, etc etc. Truly, she has been working hard, keeping a great attitude, following instructions, everything. She has done the best that she could do with the open heart of a willing 10 y/o. I had failed her in giving her the best instruction.

Then I came upon this thread. I studied it for hours on end. I then applied what I learned here in creating a swing in my DD that complimented her natural abilities. From the ground up. She has thrown herself openly and willingly with trust in her Dad into improving her swing. I was feeling the awesome responsibility of looking into those big trusting brown eyes and giving her the best I had for instruction.

Tonight, she hit her first Grand Slam.

Tonight, all of you that contributed to this thread touched the heart of a little 10 y/o girl and her dad. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you. With the most sincere thanks I can muster, you made a difference in her life. You all helped me to show her that through hard work, perseverance, and faith, you can succeed in what you work hard for.

That is a life lesson that she will carry with her forever. Thank you all for your willingness to share your knowledge.

Feb 4, 2013
THAT will be a long list. The wonderful people here have excellent information in this thread regarding each of these.

Head stillness.
Head over rear knee, rear knee bent at impact
Throwing the bat to the ball (barrel to the ball).
Coil. "Showing the hip pocket"
Hip turning.
Magic point at back hip
weight transfer
drills - face the fire, walk thru hits, pulling front foot back past rear knee before swing
grip
front leg pushing front hip back to strengthen hip rotation
Hands/bat on a shelf
Connection of each part leading to explosive power - hips, shoulders, hands
balance, balance, balance
No more squishing the bug! Getting up on the toe/shoelaces to the ground
Awesome video's/gif's that could explain what was said WAY better than I could - I got several "Ohhhhh, I get it." from her after watching the gifs/vid's.
body tilt
being on toes
rotating around spine
coiling around rear hip socket or rear knee
straight front leg
power V/dorsiflexed wrist
hand height at start
separation
coiling as moving forward
no chicken winging

I am sure there are other things but those were the things that we focused on/covered the most.

New bat being delivered Tuesday, moving up to composite.

More work to be done, this is a journey. But it's so nice to have a great pitstop along the way.

Thanks a million, again.

Really don't want to hijack this thread as strike is having an epic journey with his DD's so won't be posting about this again. Happy to talk with anyone though, just send me a PM.

Jasonacer

Oct 25, 2009
THAT will be a long list. The wonderful people here have excellent information in this thread regarding each of these.

Head stillness.
Head over rear knee, rear knee bent at impact
Throwing the bat to the ball (barrel to the ball).
Coil. "Showing the hip pocket"
Hip turning.
Magic point at back hip
weight transfer
drills - face the fire, walk thru hits, pulling front foot back past rear knee before swing
grip
front leg pushing front hip back to strengthen hip rotation
Hands/bat on a shelf
Connection of each part leading to explosive power - hips, shoulders, hands
balance, balance, balance
No more squishing the bug! Getting up on the toe/shoelaces to the ground
Awesome video's/gif's that could explain what was said WAY better than I could - I got several "Ohhhhh, I get it." from her after watching the gifs/vid's.
body tilt
being on toes
rotating around spine
coiling around rear hip socket or rear knee
straight front leg
power V/dorsiflexed wrist
hand height at start
separation
coiling as moving forward
no chicken winging

I am sure there are other things but those were the things that we focused on/covered the most.

New bat being delivered Tuesday, moving up to composite.

More work to be done, this is a journey. But it's so nice to have a great pitstop along the way.

Thanks a million, again.

Really don't want to hijack this thread as strike is having an epic journey with his DD's so won't be posting about this again. Happy to talk with anyone though, just send me a PM.

Jasonacer

Awesome! It really does take a village! Great job putting it together.

May 22, 2012
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been lurking on this thread for a while now, absorbing and applying the info as best I can. I apologize for a slight hijacking of the OP's thread.

My DD is in 10U and has been a fair hitter at best. I so wanted to help her but I was ignorant of the process. My daughter has tried for 2 years to be a strong offensive player, frequently requesting batting cage time, going to every single hitting practice without fail, every single hitting clinic, hitting off the tee, coach pitch, etc etc. Truly, she has been working hard, keeping a great attitude, following instructions, everything. She has done the best that she could do with the open heart of a willing 10 y/o. I had failed her in giving her the best instruction.

Then I came upon this thread. I studied it for hours on end. I then applied what I learned here in creating a swing in my DD that complimented her natural abilities. From the ground up. She has thrown herself openly and willingly with trust in her Dad into improving her swing. I was feeling the awesome responsibility of looking into those big trusting brown eyes and giving her the best I had for instruction.

Tonight, she hit her first Grand Slam.

Tonight, all of you that contributed to this thread touched the heart of a little 10 y/o girl and her dad. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you. With the most sincere thanks I can muster, you made a difference in her life. You all helped me to show her that through hard work, perseverance, and faith, you can succeed in what you work hard for.

That is a life lesson that she will carry with her forever. Thank you all for your willingness to share your knowledge.

Jason, I am very happy to hear that MY DD's thread was helpful for you and your daughter. There is much to be learned here for sure. When I first started posting here, I realized despite playing men's fastpitch for years that I had no real clue about mechanics. Even as the thread evolved, I was struggling to grasp some of the concepts, and it was difficult to help DD as we tried to apply some of the advice here. The light has come on for me over the past couple of months, thanks to a lot of help from the posters on this thread as well as through PM. I still have a lot to learn, but with my having a better understanding during practice, it has allowed DD (and her younger sister) to make quicker strides. I am thrilled with the strides made by both of my DD's (with the younger still being 9) We were just at the preseason clinics for our local league and they were looking great and people were talking which is always a nice confidence builder. DD (from this thread) is getting ready for her first real test of tournament ball. She has always performed well in games even during the learning process seen in this thread. However the next few months will be the true test against real high level talent. She is the youngest and the smallest on her tourney team. We are anxious but excited for her. Meanwhile I fully expect younger DD to light it up in her first season of 10U. The journey continues, and we are all looking forward to a busy spring and summer. I will continue to be active here. WE love this place!!!

Stick

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1