Help, advice, suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2014
I am going to try to write this up without sounding like an rear or one of those parents. Lol. And the purpose of the post is to benefit the team, not my kid. So, here it goes.
DD10 is going into her first spring with Her current team-they considered themselves a C team. The previous year they only won 4 games total, spring or fall.
DD had been on a B team last year. She improved a lot in a lot of aspects, but she wants to pitch. She wasn't firing on all cylinders in the spring. Part of it I think was a massive growth spurt that took some time to sort out, part of it was switching pitching coaches- she went from no coach to being coached HE which made her take a big step back- to me figuring out why she took a big step back and trying to get her back on track. The other part was not responding well to the coaching style of the team. They moved up to 12u, we decided to stay at 10 and find a situation where she was without a doubt 1 or 2, she needed the circle time and the confidence.
Not too many teams to be found were second year 10u looking for pitchers. We lucked into one that actually practices locally. She liked the girls and coaches from day 1 and was without a doubt #1 pitcher.
So, the team goes into fall ball plays league and 2 tournaments. The first game 2 of the moms looked at each other like, whoa, I can't believe the team is so good. One says to the other(yeah I'm eavesdropping) new player on the team must have made everyone step up their game. Anyways, the girls did great. They only lost 2 games all fall. Third place at 1 tourney, 1st place at the other, 2nd place in league. This is a competitive or "travel" team
Do you see where I am going here? So, with the new USSSA classifications, I am now assuming we will be a B team. That's the Internet is telling me at the moment, unless the coach hasnt appealed the classification. I am assuming a .900 average in the fall doesn't bode well for staying in C.Which I prefer for dd, and I totally think the team can compete there. Except for the catchers. As of the fall they did have 2 girls who caught, but I don't think either one considers herself a catcher. Unless they started after the fall, they don't take lessons etc. My dd is starting to hit her stride, we worked on a lot of things and have found a coach that supports us and is helping a lot. She is throwing the ball every bit as hard as any of the girls we watched in B last spring. Her change up is looking really pretty as well.
So I am trying to say I am not sure the catchers will be able to handle her pitches regularly. No stealing home and no dropped third strike saved us way too many times this fall, not to mention strikes thrown that were called balls when the catcher dropped them.When they start dropping 3rd strikes and letting balls pass for scores, I'm afraid my dd will crumble. All confidence will be lost, and she will start forcing the ball and losing technique. I have asked more than once if they'd go catch for her lessons, even offering to drive them. Is there anyway to bring this up to the coaches without looking like a jerk, or do I just bite tongue?

Mar 28, 2013
Looks to me that she is about to learn the other half of what it takes to be a #1,and it has nothing to do with mechanics, It has to do with being confident in her ability no matter what outside situations try to rattle her. She will have to learn how to be supportive of her teammates and will come to the realization that she needs them for better or worse. Its the one thing you cant teach her sitting on a bucket. support her thru it all, don't allow her to make excuses and she will blow you away with how confident and in charge she will become.Its one of the most rewarding parts of watching your kid play. My favorite saying here is "focus on the process not the result" its a long season. Good luck and stay focused on what really matters.;)

Last edited:

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
If you tell the coaches what is going to happen with the catchers you will be right. You will also come off as a jerk. Give them time and let them figure it out. At 10U many other parents and players are still figuring out the game. Many of the parents have never had a kid in competitive sports, and aren't prepared for it. It is a process for them all(including some coaches). By season's end they will be 100% different.

When we were in 10U we moved from C to B. We were knocked out of the first two tournaments by dropped third strikes. It stunk. Our girls had played so well, and were winning against the same team in both tournaments only to be beaten on drop third strikes in the last inning of both games. Without pressuring the catchers, both learned the importance of holding on to the ball. Trust me, they will figure it out in time.

Once they lose a tournament or two over dropped pitches and pass balls the parents of the catchers will be more open to their daughters going to pitching practice with you.

BTW, we faced the team that we lost to twice in the next tournament. We won the game easily. That was a turning point in our season, and in the girls maturation process. I guess my point is that 10C and 10B are learning divisions. You have to let the girls make the mistakes.

Sep 18, 2011
If you tryout for a C level team and hope to stay at the C level, then it's a bit rich to complain about C level catchers. I agree with JJS. Give it time. Do not focus on results. This year is all about development. Best wishes.

I hadn't read bucket's post before I posted. In my opinion, bucket nailed it.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I think you've gone as far as you can with the catchers. It would be a kindness for the catchers if their coach would point them at the NECC DVD, but coming from you, it's not going to be received well(pun intended). Maybe if you were tight with the coach, you could get them to suggest it, but doesn't sound like coach is aware of the skills. Coming to pitching lessons would help them learn tendencies and probably drop less balls, but they won't learn to block there.

Those girls that can keep resetting themselves and staying emotionally level in the circle when they aren't getting much help have my utmost respect and are probably well prepared for life by that mindset. Working toward that is probably all you can do at this point.

Apr 28, 2014
Speak to the parents of the catcher that you think has the most potential. Invite her to catch for your DD when she goes to pitching practice. Ask the coach to pair them two together each time she pitches.

Jan 23, 2014
Thanks for the responses. I knew I would come across as a jerk�� The girls could have been taking lesson for all I know, they certainly have the capability to do well, but catching is hard work! I wouldn't want to do it. I am sure it will get figured out. Obviously I don't want my kid stressed out and looking bad, but I also care about the other kids who have obviously improved a ton in just a year. There aren't very many A teams in our area, so everyone is playing B. It's a pretty big jump from the teams forced out of C to the teams at the top of B. And it's especially tough on the catchers who maybe are just in it for fun and don't care to take lessons and all that-especially at 10u. It has been almost impossible for us to find a good fit team as we missed the formation of 04 teams and moved to the wrong side of the city- lots of softball south of us that we're a good hour from- not a lot in the north. If you ever have to move to a new city check where the majority of teams are Located! Lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog