Helmet colors

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2009
OK, strange question...

When my DD started softball last (08) spring, I noticed her coach had spray painted the "team" helmets to match the team colors. Cool, I can do that. So I took her dark blue helmet and spray painted it with the team colors (pink & black). Didn't add any kind of protection coat. Spring of 09, I painted over the pink & black with her new team colors (maroon). Again, no protection coat. Her travel team this summer gave out helmet stickers as awards (showing up for practice and tournaments was an "award"). So now those are on the helmet.

So my question is, anyone have any tips to get back to the "base" color? I've also thought about taking the helmet to an autobody place and see what they can do.

Sep 3, 2009
I wouldn't use a chemical stripper, because I think it might react with the plastic shell of the helmet. Honestly some sandpaper and a little elbow grease are probably your best bet. I wouldn't use anything too rough, maybe 220 grit at the lowest. Just take your time.

Jun 22, 2008
You can use goo be gone to help get the stickers off, but do not let it get on the padding or the glue because it will release the padding.

Any paint removing chemical you use is going to destroy the plastic. You could possibly bead blast it off under low pressure, but then you are going to be having the blasting media falling out of the padding for the next year. Sandpaper is about your only real option, but then the helmet is going to be dull when you are done. For what helmets cost and the time you are going to invest in sanding on the helmet, I would either just put another coat of paint on it or buy a new helmet.

May 23, 2008
You can get back to the base color, but it will still need to be painted. I wouldn't use anything less than 600 grit. If you do not put heavy sand scratches in the helmet you should be able to clear coat the original plastic. Clear coat should be able to cover 600 grit scratches.

This helmet is 3 years old, for the time and effort involved I would just buy a new helmet.

Steve

Jul 21, 2009
Amy- yup. Just some spray paint (I looked for the kind that is for plastic furniture). It actually came out well both times. I just wish I would have put some kind of clear coat on it.

Everyone else, thanks for the tips... maybe I'll just try goo gone for the stickers and respray. I'm just hoping for one more year with the helmet... why, no particular reason, it's not exactly "lucky" or anything.

Sep 14, 2009
remove stickers

pull what you can of the stickers off and spray WD-40 or a little motor oil on it. These products will dissolve the adhesive from the sticker. Just be sure to clean with soap and water to get the residue off before you paint.
I just got my daughter a new catchers helmet and want to do some type of customization to it too.
Play Sunday Softball

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Yea I agree with some of the comment above,replace the helmets. According to Schutt, you should never paint or sand any of the helmets. This will void the warranty and weakens the integrity of the helmet.

If your team needs help with helmets give shoot me an email. I work for Tomark Sports.

michaelg@tomark.com

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01