Heater worth trying?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Does anyone have experience with the inexpensive Heater pitching machine? I'm looking for something to use in the backyard, and maybe occasionally for our team practice. The new Jugs machine is neatly priced at $1400, but I'm not quite ready for that level of investment.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I like the Louisville Slugger Ultimate Pitching Machine Blue Flame. $180 new, I got mine for @$70 used. I think that I will get most, if not all, my money back if I sell it.

It is spring loaded so no ball feed. Good news is no electricity or battery needed.

It is a little inconsistent so though it throws mostly strikes, it does throw balls too. So the batter needs to play attention and cannot grove their swing to a specific location.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
45 MPH at highest setting, witch is plenty fast for the pitchers in our Leaque. 10U.

We have it set to 7 or 8 speed, out of 10, when we practice.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2010
Ive used the heater for the last 2 years. Its rather cumbersome to lug to the practice field. It works well in the cage covered up for easy use. I especially like the feeder since it allows me to focus on the batters form. We're still hitting the 11' balls at 12 and 13yo. It wont lasy forever and im not sure ill get much when we're done but its provided good value fo me.

Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for that feedback. I was hoping you'd tell me it was easily transportable to practice, as that is one of the considerations. I've never used anything other than the Jugs and love that machine, so I may have to break down and go for it. They do last forever and hold their value, but that initial outlay including battery or generator will be hard to swallow.

Jun 21, 2010
There are different Heater machines. The cheaper one is just that cheap. The machine will recoil each time it shoots a ball out. The tripod is wobbly which contributes to the recoil. Noisy too. The nicer Heater machines ( red painted ones ) are really good. Much sturdier legs. Made of metal vs plastic. My son's teammate has one and we've used it a few times.

I have the UPM and it's great to use. But recently I bought two Jugs machines. Got them off on craigslist for $600. Jugs liteflite and the Jugs Jr for softball, and +50 balls for both machines. The liteflite is very nice and you can get a battery to take it to the fields. I use the liteflite for popflies mostly, but some ground work occasionally--I can hit grounders no problem, but can't hit a consitently good high popfly.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1