Heat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
We ditched Gatorade for Body Armour - helps DD stay hydrated longer, taste better And better for you overall.
We also put elete drops in her regular water. Elete is used by marathon runners.
Frozen grapes and watermelon. We also freeze a Home Depot spray bottle full of water and use at the fields.

You've already mentioned the essentials.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I'm from the same area Il Softball Fan is from. I know many parts of the country get very hot. In our area, the humidity is just crazy. With the temps at 97 and the heat index in triple digits it is going to be a mess. My dd's 12U team is probably playing at the same venue. We've already discussed a plan.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Putting a bag of ice in the catcher's helmet when you're on offense is also a good idea.

Cooling down between games...soak their bare feet in the ice water. Nothing cools you down faster than that!

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
You have already got some great advice, but let me add to make sure that you are keeping an eye on the players when on defense. Especially if they get into one of those long half innings when they are on the field. Pitchers and catchers especially, since they are the ones who are working on every pitch and the catcher with all the gear on.

Let me add that it is always a nice gesture to keep an eye on "those two guys with long wool pants on". Umpires are usually pretty good about taking care of themselves, but we appreciate it when a team makes sure we are OK or offers us water or towels, even if we usually won't accept.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2012
Illinois
Should be hydrating a few days before, day before is too late. Trying to catch up on hydration the day the tourney starts can lead to disaster for the second day. Also, Gatorade mixed with water 50/50, no straight Gatorade. Don't forget sunscreen too.

Sep 29, 2014
Hydrate well day before, I would mix whatever sports drink 50/50 with water and only every few drinks. Also in between games make sure you have shade and the girls don't run around too much, I don't want them napping and they can walk around a little but most of the time should be spend in the shade.

If she is a catcher depending on schedule and temp she might simply have to sit out. We played in Texas and it was very rare a catcher went all day behind the plate in July with temp over 100 and high humidity (unless they were really spaced apart)...three games out of four game block going through the losers bracket in many cases was a physical impossibility.

Jun 12, 2015
We stick mostly to water, with maybe one gatorade or the equivalent at some point during the day. Mine doesn't really want anything but water when she's playing. I bought a watermelon to bring tomorrow, that'll help. I'm in GA where it's both hot and humid. Tomorrow is going to be pretty miserable.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Well, four games today..and it was def hot one out there. First game was 8am, and second was at 930. Those two weren't too bad. Hour break, and then two more games back to back. I, and several parents today had what we though was enough waters for both days, and we ran out today. Girls were downing water bottles like crazy. We did go 3-1 today, so first game tomorrow is at 12.

Cannonball...we are at St Charles this weekend. We do have some friends playing in the one I think you are talking about.

Dec 11, 2010
Two Dd's played seven games between the two of them. It was hot but it was one of the rare weekends they are both in the same complex so we are enjoying it.

Tent encampments were springing up around the ballpark. It looked like a civil war reenactment, I half expected to see Ulysses S. Grant at one.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My niece turned me on to Bana (water). It is a miracle in a bottle. No more headaches from the heat.

And I have a rule - players cannot mention the heat during the game, unless they are sick.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma