Head/toe angle at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
It is amazing how quickly you can get results with your hitters FFS. It is equally amazing that regardless of topic you seem to have had a girl with the same issue in the cages the previous night and with one tweak you achieve this noticeable improvement. Uncanny.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It is amazing how quickly you can get results with your hitters FFS. It is equally amazing that regardless of topic you seem to have had a girl with the same issue in the cages the previous night and with one tweak you achieve this noticeable improvement. Uncanny.

JJs, what is uncanny are your responses. Again, nothing of value to the topic at hand. Simply continuing on with the theme of wishing to be argumentative, dishonest and purposefully incorrect when it fits your agenda.

I had ten hitters in the cages last night ... and one of them had the issue I described. Why that bothers you .... I don't have a clue.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Good stuff FFS. Personally I think there are a number of factors that could impact this "angle"; pitch location, timing, etc. I don't have access to my gifs (currently at work), but I am guessing that we could find different swings of Pujols that would provide different angles then this one here. To rdbass's point, I am personally more concerned about COG than the angle. If you get the COG right, I think the rest will work itself out.

It is rarely a straight line, at impact, from the head-to-front_foot.

The resistance from the front side is important.

I had a hitter in the cages last night that kept bending her knee into impact. I stopped her and told her she was simply trying to hit and not trying to throw the barrel.

We continued ... and she didn't get what I meant, as she kept bending her knee into impact. I stopped her again. Gave her a some tee-ball bats that I had hanging around the cages and asked her to throw them down the length of the cage from her normal batting position. She threw the first barrel ... and viola, the front leg resisted to support her throw.

She didn't understand how come all of a sudden she was using her front side. I told her not to worry about it ... but to continue to think of throwing the barrel downstream. She continued to throw barrel after barrel ... and without thinking of her front side, she used it.

We then resumed live hitting. Her swings were noticeably improved. Every time she would continue to hit with a bending-in front knee I would bark ... "throw the barrel" ... and she would use that cue to recover on her very next swing.

The resistance from the front side is essential. It provides a sense of urgency to throw/release the barrel.

Often, I find that the front-side resistance can be improved without directly working on the front-side resistance ... and by instead throwing barrels.

Now, if you follow Doc Yeager, then you'll hear him speak of the angle from head-to-front_foot ... and use the cue of "more tilt, less turn". IMO he's attempting to encourage the throwing of the barrel. What I do is simply cut to the chase and have the ladies throw barrels ... and often you get pretty close to what you are after.

Pujols .....

24c8pw7.jpg

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
JJs, what is uncanny are your responses. Again, nothing of value to the topic at hand. Simply continuing on with the theme of wishing to be argumentative, dishonest and purposefully incorrect when it fits your agenda.

I had ten hitters in the cages last night ... and one of them had the issue I described. Why that bothers you .... I don't have a clue.

Nothing dishonest about my post, or argumentative, or incorrect. Just pointing out your amazing abilities to quickly correct your hitters and the pattern of last nights hitters having issues that match the next day's topic. No desire to turn this into another long time waster so don't try to escalate it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Nothing dishonest about my post, or argumentative, or incorrect. Just pointing out your amazing abilities to quickly correct your hitters and the pattern of last nights hitters having issues that match the next day's topic. No desire to turn this into another long time waster so don't try to escalate it.

JJs, I take note that you claim to be impressed with my abilities .... but honestly, what I described is fairly simple, straight forward and relatively common.