Have any pitching coaches changed their teachings based on leaping being allowed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I am guessing we are going to see more pitching styles like Kelly Barnhill or Gabby Plain. Pitchers that were on the verge of leaping.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Leaping <> crow hopping.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
They had a hard time calling crow hopping when BOTH leaping and crow hopping was illegal. Do we really expect that now that leaping is legal they are going to be strict on crow hopping? The only thing that might be called is the men type of crow hopping which has extreme delays in the arm circle.

Feb 15, 2017
They had a hard time calling crow hopping when BOTH leaping and crow hopping was illegal. Do we really expect that now that leaping is legal they are going to be strict on crow hopping? The only thing that might be called is the men type of crow hopping which has extreme delays in the arm circle.
Crow hopping would be easy to call if they wanted to, at least on the college level. If you're drive knee is parallel to the mound at release it is a crow hop.

Fun fact. MLB experimented with a 45 degree line from both the left side the rubber. If your foot landed to the base side of the line, you were committed to throw to the base. To the plate side of the line you were committed to throwing home. If you didn't comply it was a balk. They didn't implement because it made too much sense.

May 29, 2015
Crow hopping would be easy to call if they wanted to, at least on the college level. If you're drive knee is parallel to the mound at release it is a crow hop.

Fun fact. MLB experimented with a 45 degree line from both the left side the rubber. If your foot landed to the base side of the line, you were committed to throw to the base. To the plate side of the line you were committed to throwing home. If you didn't comply it was a balk. They didn't implement because it made too much sense.

Nah ... they didn't implement it because it is a terrible and stupid interpretation of the rule. Well, that's my worthless opinion anyway.

May 29, 2015
It's not about the guesswork or the enforcement ... its about what it actually allows. I think the interpretation of allowing a "44-degree" step is a terrible way of reading a rule that says the pitcher must step DIRECTLY to the base they are throwing to.

Jan 25, 2022
9450b5a422a70bc5d244af17b77bc6e6.jpg

Here is a closeup of DD’s stride foot completely disappearing in the trench that develops in front of the rubber at most fields. If allowing leaping does anything to mitigate this, I’m all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's amazing. The worst one I've ever seen still wasn't quite this bad. wow.

Jan 25, 2022
I watch a ton of video in addition to whatever pitcher I work with (which admittedly are not manyso far), and almost every leaper I've seen--outside of high level players--is leaping as part of overall terrible mechanics. These kids that are off the ground for as much as 1-1.5 feet have mechanics that are 10 different kinds of jacked up. It's usually a brutal forced opening to start.

I don't think actual good mechanics will involve much lift on the back side. Getting out way too far or driving out too high (both of which I would expect to see more leaping) are both aspects of inefficient or plain bad mechanics.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles