Haters gonna hate.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Not sure why, but Mendoza is much better in the baseball booth than the fastpitch booth IMO!

That is because, IMO, the baseball fan is not as knowledgeable as their softball counterpart. And the TH in both sports have a tendency to declare what is right and what is not based upon what they experienced or heard of on the field whether as a little leaguer or professional which, at times, as much myth as fact.

Jun 11, 2013
I have no idea who this DJ is but I'm guessing that's his whole act. He just rages on anything to get attention. I'm sure he is more
than happy to receive any notice.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
There are a number of sports announcers who never played MLB- but are exceptionally knowledgeable about the game and offer insight that is interesting and accessible to the average (or in my case below-average) BB fan. I have not heard JM baseball commentary- so can't speak to her BB knowledge, but at least by the account in that article, she held her own. My objection to CS commentary during the WCWS was that he did not seem knowledgeable about SB or SB strategy so he did not add much to the discussion.

Jun 11, 2013
My problem with Shilling was more along the lines of what's the point of having him? Would people who weren't going to watch suddenly think wow Shilling is covering the game so I'll watch. Mendoza has a lot to learn about baseball, but she does a good job.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
There's a false presumption that the most qualified color commentator is the most knowledgeable about the sport. Most people are just watching a baseball game, not studying for a final exam. Most viewers don't need a high-level analysis of what's going on. In most cases, they just want somebody that they enjoy listening to. The most qualified is a mixture of knowledgeable, interesting and likable. For JM, I'd say she's very likeable. She's very interesting since she's the first and only female doing it for the playoffs. And she's knowledgeable enough. Highly qualified, IMO.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Mendoza is a far better baseball announcer than Schilling is a softball announcer. He was downright terrible. Seemed to be bored, disinterested, and not very knowledgeable. Mendoza, by contrast, seemed well-prepared for the assignment and offered a lot of insightful commentary. She's going to go far in this career. Congrats to her.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Wow, I what an immature asshole to make a comment like he did, about her not seeing any 95mpr cutters, no jackass she's seen 70mpr cutters from 43ft away which you'd have to react a lot quicker too, Than a 95mpr cutter from 60ft away!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Wow, I what an immature asshole to make a comment like he did, about her not seeing any 95mpr cutters, no jackass she's seen 70mpr cutters from 43ft away which you'd have to react a lot quicker too, Than a 95mpr cutter from 60ft away!

Did the sports talk guy say that?

He's not an athlete himself. What are his credentials? Amazing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish