Has anyone ever had umpire interference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2010
Friday night, my DD hs team was playing for district championship game. DD is leadoff and hits deep to left field. She rounds first glances over to coach at third and runs smack into the umpire who is in the baseline. He knocks her down, totally knocks the wind out of her and she crawls back to first knowing she no longer can even get to second base. Umpire says "Sorry". We had 3 umps for the game, and this was the umpire that would have been behind first base. There was another field ump and the plate ump. I have yet to figure out why he was in the baseline. The head coach never says anything to the umpires. The game was being broadcast and even the announcer were confused as to why the umpire was there. Was wondering if anyone else has had something similar happen and is there a rule? My DD is a catcher, so I know behind the plate its gets a little "crowded" but that's to be expected. There were no expectations there was to be a field ump in the baseline. Thanks!

Jun 22, 2008
The umpire should not have been there, but, they probably assumed the runner was doing something different and got in the way. We all know what happens when you assume something.

What you have described is not umpire interference. There are only 2 cases where the umpire would be considered to have interfered, and that is when the plate umpire makes contact with the catcher on a throw attempt, and if a base umpire somehow manages to get hit by a batted ball before an infielder has a chance to make a play on the ball. In any other situation the umpires are considered to be part of the field.

Feb 3, 2011
She rounds first glances over to coach at third and runs smack into the umpire who is in the baseline. He knocks her down, totally knocks the wind out of her and she crawls back to first knowing she no longer can even get to second base.
If she'd been watching where she was going, she would've had a better chance of avoiding the collision. It was an unfortunate incident, but at that moment, he was a part of the field. I suspect he apologized because that was the polite thing to do. Glad your player wasn't hurt.

Nov 29, 2009
If she'd been watching where she was going, she would've had a better chance of avoiding the collision.

Then she wouldn't know what the 3B coach wanted her to do before getting to 2nd base.

She's doing EXACTLY what she was supposed to be doing. Picking up the 3rd base coach early enough to know what to do before she got to 2nd base. The umpire in 3 man crew should not be in the baseline. He screwed up not the runner.

Mar 13, 2010
If she'd been watching where she was going, she would've had a better chance of avoiding the collision. It was an unfortunate incident, but at that moment, he was a part of the field. I suspect he apologized because that was the polite thing to do. Glad your player wasn't hurt.

Momo, as SG said, she needs to be looking at her coach. There is NEVER a reason for the umpire to be on the baseline. Ever. This umpire goofed up badly. Unforunatly it's just bad luck and there's nothing that can be done.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Momo, as SG said, she needs to be looking at her coach. There is NEVER a reason for the umpire to be on the baseline. Ever. This umpire goofed up badly. Unforunatly it's just bad luck and there's nothing that can be done.

Not entirely true.....the umpire needs to be in the best position to see a play and make a call. If that position happens to be in the baseline, so be it. That being said, the umpire also needs to do his/her best to avoid colliding with runners and/or fielders and being hit with a thrown or batted ball.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Catchermom, I know we all see things different when our kids are involved. But my question is, knowing she was going to advance at least to 2nd did she widen her base path maybe too much? My runners with speed have a wide birth flying around the bases.

Glad your DD did not get hurt.

Mar 13, 2010
Didn't you argue something different in the other thread about looking at the ball vs looking at the coach?

No I argued that after she's hit the ball she needs to sneak a peak to see if she needs to round first. After she's rounded first, she's looking at the coach to see if she needs to round second.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp