Ground Rule Double

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Runner on 1st. Batter hits a line drive down 3rd base line. Left fielder dives at the ball and it careens off her glove and goes out of bounds. PU calls ground rule double and awards runner on 1st 3rd base and batter 2nd. I argued that it should be treated the same as an overthrow that goes out bounds and the runner on 1st should get home and the batter 3rd. Was I correct? We were playing ASA rules and I was referencing was in section 8.5.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
At the point that the ball went out of play, where were the runner and where was the batter/ runner? Batter/ runner probably 2nd. but depending on where runner was could have been home.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Runner on 1st had rounded 3rd. Batter had rounded 2nd.

Huh? The batter hits a line drive to LF, left-fielder dives and knocks it out of play, and at that point the batter had already rounded 2nd? With that kind of speed, if she'd hit straight through the middle, she could have caught her own ball at 2nd base!

Jun 22, 2008
First off, base awards on balls thrown out of play are based from the time of throw, not when the ball leaves live ball territory. Second, read a little further in section 8-5.

8-5-I-2 When a fair batted ball deflects off the defensive player and goes out of play. Effect: The ball is dead, and all runners are awarded 2 bases from the time of the pitch.

Jan 25, 2011
Huh? The batter hits a line drive to LF, left-fielder dives and knocks it out of play, and at that point the batter had already rounded 2nd? With that kind of speed, if she'd hit straight through the middle, she could have caught her own ball at 2nd base!
If she pitches,she should be able to catcher herself.:D

Mar 15, 2010

Let me explain better. LF was playing towards center. The ball was hit down the line. LF had to run st an angle to the ball. The ball was on the grass rolling when she dove at pushing it out if bounds. She was not playing the line.

Jan 25, 2011
I still can't see how batter was rounding second, was the game being played on a baseball field?

Mar 15, 2010
Adult softball fields. No outfield fences. The fences extended from behind home plate and ended about one hundred feet down each line. During plate mewing ump explained out of bounds extended as an imaginary line from end of fences. Between the foul line and fence was about 20 feet. The infield diet was 90 feet down the foul lines. 3rd was playing in and the ball went over her head landed fair in the dirt and then started to slope towards foul territory as it rolled in the grass. LF was playing in and had to take a backwards angle to get the ball. She dove at the end and that its when the ball went off her glove out of bounds. I never said this was a bang bang play, it took some time to develop. Since the ball was in fair territory until the five pushed it out if bounds it didn't seem to me to meet the criteria of deflecting off a player. Seemed more to me that she pushed it out of bounds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523